Heart of a Coward Snare sound

trendkill97

New Metal Member
Sep 30, 2012
Leeds
You beautiful Sneapsters! Would anyone like to give me advice as to where to start in capturing a snare sound as close as possible to this at the source? The drummer is using a 13inch Joey Jordison snare.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoti9e-iDV4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoti9e-iDV4[/ame]

I'm surprised how reverberant it is considering the genre. I think it works very well. I'm sure it's been blended with sampled snares but i'm trying to see how close I can get before that stage. I should mention i'm recording in a medium sized live room - half concrete- half carpet flooring, heavy curtain drapped walls.

this mix is killer!!! anyone have some tips to get this guitar tone? I know that Will usually blend a 5150 with a bogner into mesa cabs! but here it sounds really different from what he usually do

Putney mixed and mastered this. I´m certain he re-amped those guitars, they have that signature putney sound and sound evil and ugly as fuck. I didn´t know that these were sampled drums, since Will actually only goes with natural drums, for the most part.
The snare has alot of top end and a tight attack that just smashes real nice and blends in great, and it´s tuned higher. I also hear a little ring on the end when the snare is alone. As mentioned above, there is alot of room on the snare which gives it alot of the sound.

Since these are programmed drums, does anyone know what samples these could be, or what sample library Putney prefers? Just curious, since he´s a pretty much no-samples-kinda-guy

sounds like his usual drum tones so im gonna say he made the samples from scratch, or at least most of it. maybe from a session he did with another band or something

I tried recreating this snare with Slate Samples (I'm having Steven Slate Drums 4 EX), with no luck. Didn't find many snares close to that sound. Are there more snare like this in the platinum edition? I'm considering upgrading to that, haha.

I tried recreating this snare with Slate Samples (I'm having Steven Slate Drums 4 EX), with no luck. Didn't find many snares close to that sound. Are there more snare like this in the platinum edition? I'm considering upgrading to that, haha.

Nah, no slate snare comes even close to this. I'm "almost" sure that this snare for example is a either a single sample that he mic'ed himself or a mixture of his samples