Mixing in the box vs out of the box

evolutions_end

now with extra avatar!
Sep 1, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
So im not too sure where this should go, so ill stick it in OT.

I had a meeting with a client they other day to mix an album, and they asked me what outgear stuff i had. i told them, and they mentioned that they really wanted to get it out of the box. i asked them why, and they said they wanted to get it through some good quality gear. (they think my gears good quality, aww).

but it seems no one likes mixing ITB as opposed to OTB. From a technically point of view, what are the pros and cons? i run a digi002, and im thinking that running the audio out of the 002 via the DA converters, into the comp/eq/whatever, then back through the AD converters wouldnt leave the overall tone that crash hot.

Any other pros/cons? Thoughts?

I think they are full of shit and have been surfing gearslutz for too long.

A good engineer can make spectacular mixes ITB-only, while a crap engineer can make only shit mixes with the best outboard. I mean seriously, these guys should be concerned with their skill/performance and your reference CDs (ones that you produced) and not if you have an 1176 in your racks.

Fuckwits.

You're absolutely right about the conversion issue, and for that reason (as well as cost of outboard gear that would be worth it, inability to recall presets or change parameters on the fly, etc.), I'm sticking with ITB

I think they are full of shit and have been surfing gearslutz for too long.

A good engineer can make spectacular mixes ITB-only, while a crap engineer can make only shit mixes with the best outboard. I mean seriously, these guys should be concerned with their skill/performance and your reference CDs (ones that you produced) and not if you have an 1176 in your racks.

Fuckwits.

+1.

i took a neutral stance on the topic. i think to make myself a better engineer, i should LEARN outboard gear and how to use it, yet their decision to come to me shouldnt depend on my rack- yes, your right, it should depend on my chops. They were impressed with my demo CD, and that has a mixture of ITB and OTB mixing. ive decided that if they want any more outboard gear than what i have, they can buy it for me. they arent paying me enough to get it OUT just yet.

be wary of people with little knowledge who think they're god's gift to music. i've had people tell me my recordings are awesome, but they're going to record with someone else because the other guy has Pro-tools (an Mbox) and i don't. of course it sounds like she-it and i could have done better. everyone thinks they're a recording engineer now...:puke: trust your own experiance.