Mixing Pratice Heavy/Alternative Rock - The Black Crown - Flames

Thx. Yes i know. I noticed that he routing of my drums in Kontakt is somewhat fucked up, trying to fix this and have them the way i wanted. Yep the bass was shit i know :).

Yeah but the direction is right :) I think that you used too much of the Distorted channel for the bass, that's why is a bit harsh on the high-mids. On the album and on the track I've split the bass track in 3 different channels.
The DI to took care of the Lows, a reamped Ampeg SVT track for the mids and the B7K channel for aggression and high-mids. If I remember correctly I've also high-cut from around 5-5.5KHZ

Instead I take your subjective opinion on a personal level and from now on I will hate you :D
Returning serious for a moment, what do you use for amp/cab? Real one, plugin, kemper, axe fx?

DON'T GET ME WRONG!!!!

The single note picking is great, it's more the open chords in the intro which sounded a bit out of phase.
Maybe it's my ears :p

Man, I tried like everything, Kemper, Axe FX, JST Ben Bruce and the other JST Amps, TSE X50 1.0 & 2.45, some LePou Amps. Basically all OwnHammer IRs, some custom ones.

I ended up using JST Ben Bruce for now. I just have to mix in the vocals and after that I'll upload my mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: SynFactory
Yeah but the direction is right :) I think that you used too much of the Distorted channel for the bass, that's why is a bit harsh on the high-mids. On the album and on the track I've split the bass track in 3 different channels.
The DI to took care of the Lows, a reamped Ampeg SVT track for the mids and the B7K channel for aggression and high-mids. If I remember correctly I've also high-cut from around 5-5.5KHZ

I use Fabfilter Saturn for distortion, it´s a fantastic plugin and you can set the frequency you want to distort so you can only go with 1 Bass Track. For this mix i didnt use a Cab sim, that´s why it sounds so shit :). Normally i would go B7K without distortion (just for tone shaping) and then add the distortion with Saturn.

DON'T GET ME WRONG!!!!

The single note picking is great, it's more the open chords in the intro which sounded a bit out of phase.
Maybe it's my ears :p

Man, I tried like everything, Kemper, Axe FX, JST Ben Bruce and the other JST Amps, TSE X50 1.0 & 2.45, some LePou Amps. Basically all OwnHammer IRs, some custom ones.

I ended up using JST Ben Bruce for now. I just have to mix in the vocals and after that I'll upload my mix.

Try this Impulse, maybe you will like it :)

Attachments

• JVM 4x30 PR20 IR.wav.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 20
Hi, thx for those files! Great Song i love it!

Here is my go:

used my new Marshall AFD 100 without any pedal in front of the Amp! :)

Thank you, glad you liked it! :)

Be aware that the drums are out of sync and I think that there is something wrong in your midi mapping because there are too many snare hits.

Quick mix to test a couple Cameron CCV profiles I made for the Kemper. Great song that I hope I did justice to. I don't have a ton of mix experience so please let me know how it sounds. Any feedback would be appreciated....good or bad.

EDIT: new mix here

Last edited:
Quick mix to test a couple Cameron CCV profiles I made for the Kemper. Great song that I hope I did justice to. I don't have a ton of mix experience so please let me know how it sounds. Any feedback would be appreciated....good or bad.

Hey man, thanks for the nice words, really appreciated!
Let me wear my Gandalf's hat and tell you the best suggestion I could give you: when importing or exporting the tracks, check, double check and triple check if everything is correct. I've also included the video of the song. Referencing to that, can you tell me what is wrong with your version? Actually, what is missing?

Hey man, thanks for the nice words, really appreciated!
Let me wear my Gandalf's hat and tell you the best suggestion I could give you: when importing or exporting the tracks, check, double check and triple check if everything is correct. I've also included the video of the song. Referencing to that, can you tell me what is wrong with your version? Actually, what is missing?

Hmm, I'm only listening on iPad speakers now so I'll have to check later on monitors. But besides skill and experience, can you give me a hint as to what else I'm missing? I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to.

Hmm, I'm only listening on iPad speakers now so I'll have to check later on monitors. But besides skill and experience, can you give me a hint as to what else I'm missing? I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to.

Maybe you used the midi files instead of the audio for the drums, and the midi mapping is wrong, but in all the Choruses the Cymbal hits are completely gone, there are only Kick and Snare.

Maybe you used the midi files instead of the audio for the drums, and the midi mapping is wrong, but in all the Choruses the Cymbal hits are completely gone, there are only Kick and Snare.

Ha, I'm an idiot! I was using the MIDI file with Slate drums and the mapping was off. Here is another attempt with correct mapping...

Thoughts?