MMA/Combat Sports Thread

Dec 27, 2004
Any favorite fighters, favorite fights, favorite leagues etc.?

I used to, and still am, a huge fan of Genki Sudo because he is so interesting to watch and is amazing at grappling. Recently though my favorite fighter has been CroCop because I love seeing him annihilate grapplers with his amazing striking abbility (left kick for the win, hah). I love when people go into guard and he just backs up and tells them to get off their ass's and fight. Both Emelienenkos are also great, and Wandy.

Pride is my favorite league, but recently I've been liking K1 because I'm interested in striking and like to see some non-grappling fights. San Shou also is a great rule set and Cung Le is amazing to watch. He is always in control of his fights and can take people down in a second.

For Muay Thai I like to see Dekkar fight, he is just a wall of punches kicks elbows and knees, it really is amazing.

I've been trying to learn about Boxing recently and follow it, have been watching wed. and fri. night fights but I can't get into it as much as other fight sports for some reason. It's harder to follow for some reason, I think it is because it has less 'stars' or personalities to associate with fighters and comes to decision way to often for my taste. So far I like Ibragimov, but really I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to boxing.

I just recently watched UFC1 over again. All I can say is holy fucking shit, haha.

Who else likes fight sports?

fedor-crocop.jpg

My current two favorites. That was a good fight.

I saw some K1 a couple years ago and liked it alot. I like all the combat sports as these guys are superb athletes.
I was into it more back when UFC started which mustve been 94-95? something like that. I remember Royce Gracie beating everybody. I don't really have a favorite fighter as they have so little staying power. Seems like Ken Shamrock is the only one still around that I recognize.
I think my favorite is/was maybe Dan Severn whom I always liked because he looked like my dad haha.

oh yeah, I like Francois Botha but I dunno if he even fights anymore. He was pretty old when I saw him in 2004.

been a huge fan of crocop and quinton jackson over the past few years. i'm not crazy about UFC but jeff monson is pretty cool. anybody see bas rutten's comeback fight? poor guy...

I have a passing interest in MMA. I grew up on boxing and spent a few years studying a variety of arts; Jeet Kune Do and Muay Thai in particular. However, as of now, I can't say I've been sucked into the sport, to the point where I actually follow it.

Zod

Same here. Couldn't tell you the difference between all the leagues. I got lost somewhere around UFC 926.

dorian gray said:
Same here. Couldn't tell you the difference between all the leagues. I got lost somewhere around UFC 926.

There's only been 62 of them. Which isn't alot, considering how many years they have been around. :Smug:

Pride:
Igor Vovcahnchyn = fucking love this guy incredible punching power and good mat skills. Veyr short and squatty but built like a fucking tree trunk.
Kazushi Sakuraba= fought Royce Gracie in an hour and half match that was freakin awesome. beat Gracie. Hes a very unorthodox fighter.
Mark The Hammer Coleman = was a wrestling beast back in the day.
Wanderli Silva= guys fucking kness are like Razors

UFC
Matt Hughes= powerslamming beast , like a smaller white version of Quinton Jackson, incredible mat skills.
Randy Couture=great slams and his dirty boxing rocks ass.
Forrest Griffin= I love this guys heart and bare essential fighting ability. Never gives up.
Bas Rutten= back in the day this guy was a beast and tore through people
Vitor Belfort= His punching ability is unmatched

KOTC
Diego Sanchez is from Albuquerque and actually met him a few times at a Record store. Pretty quiet guy. Hell of a fighter.
Joe Stevenson= kids got great ground skills and punching power.