Modern hard rock mix (Vocals, Kemper & Axe-Fx, Live Drums)

JohnIce

Mark Zero
Jun 6, 2010
Sweden!
www.facebook.com
Hey all! :)

Working on this mix for my band Mark Zero. Need some input on how to take it further, as it's been going back and forth between me and my co-guitarist (and co-mixer) Scott for way too long now! :loco:

Appreciate your thoughts! :)

For those interested, here's the gear used:

Gits Rhythm: LTD AW-7 stock into my Kemper using an Ironheart profile.
Gits Lead: Same guitar into Scott's Axe II using… I don't remember :p Ask Scottie, he played it!
Git solo: Fame Forum III-7 with a JB using my Axe Std (oh boy all this gear) on a Diezel VH4 patch.

Bass: Warwick Corvette 5-string DI'd only.

Drums: TAMA Hyperdrive kit into an SSL AWS900+ console :)notworthy) using a heap of mics that don't belong to us :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good, I don't found any flaws in the production. But I think the recent trend of using heavily down tuned guitars for EVERYTHING is kinda annoying... Hard rock doesn't need to sound like Deathcore.

This sounds very good! Nothing I would change mix wise. And I actually love downtuned guitars in rock music. I also have a similar project... little bit more into classic rock style. And we use B standard tuning. It really gives a lot more possibilities for finding perfect key to suit our singers voice. Keep up with the good work!!!

Sounds good, I don't found any flaws in the production. But I think the recent trend of using heavily down tuned guitars for EVERYTHING is kinda annoying... Hard rock doesn't need to sound like Deathcore.

Thanks! Haha yeah fair enough, different strokes :) I've been playing a 7 for the last 10 years though, so I can't speak for current trends :lol:

This sounds very good! Nothing I would change mix wise. And I actually love downtuned guitars in rock music. I also have a similar project... little bit more into classic rock style. And we use B standard tuning. It really gives a lot more possibilities for finding perfect key to suit our singers voice. Keep up with the good work!!!

Awesome, thanks! :) I actually think B and C sounds better than A which we're tuned to, but I always end up writing songs where B is just above what I can pull off consistently in a live setting :) Or rather, as high as I can go before I start to sound like a squeezed tenor. And I've learned the hard way to leave some room for hangovers, colds and excessive caffeine intake :)

Production wise I think it sounds great. There's parts though (musically) where the vocalist sounds like he has a sore throat instead of ACTUAL grit on his voice. If that makes sense? Like he wasn't in top form when he was recording. But otherwise, I love it man \m/

Production wise I think it sounds great. There's parts though (musically) where the vocalist sounds like he has a sore throat instead of ACTUAL grit on his voice. If that makes sense? Like he wasn't in top form when he was recording. But otherwise, I love it man m/

Cheers! :headbang: That was a production choice, we had a really hard time getting my "good" rock vocal approach to feel right with the lyrics of the song. It just sounded like bland radio rock with no sharp edges left. So after doing a bunch of takes that were as good as I could possibly get them, we said fvck that and took another pass through the whole thing and this is basically the two or three takes we did then :)