Modern technical metalcore track -- would love your thoughts!

thisjanuary

New Metal Member
Jan 31, 2009
Hey all,

I've crafted this track, it's a modern tech-metal track kinda in the vein of bands like Veil of Maya, After the Burial, and Born of Osiris, with some groove kinda influences in there too and some other random stuff tucked around here and there.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=900666&songID=7355132

I'd love to hear what you think about it, both musically and mix-wise.

Any advice at all or recommendations on levels, tone, etc are cool to hear. It's all done through a Line 6 POD X3 on a Peavey 5150 patch of mine, and Toontrack Superior 2.0 for the drums, and there's a little bit of synth in the middle which uses Native Instruments' Pro-53.

Also looking for anyone who'd fancy adding some vocals to it, so get in touch if you fancy it.

Cheers!

Hey man,

Musically: It's totally my cup of tea, so i have to give you credits for that.
I dig it how you bring the badass drums together with the somewhat epic guitar/synths!

Mixwise: Imo the guitar could come up, and the kick can come down(to me it sounds like the kick might be clipping a tad).
I also dig your guitarsound, although imho it might sound better in this kind of music if you use less gain.

Sounds good, but drums are too loud in comparison with the guitars(kick and snare).

:headbang:

Okay, thanks a lot man I'll bear that in mind. The guitars are just single tracked so I'm a tad worried about bringing the gain down :p

The bass is in there.. it's just a little low :p I'll whack it up a tad :) As for the preset, Google "Gorilla's Metal Patches", its one of the 5150 ones from there with some slight tweaking to the Tube Screamer :)

Cool song! I'm not liking the guitar sound too much. They sound pretty thin and a tad overgained to me. Drums sound pretty good to me although they are louder than the guitars. Also is there a bass guitar? If there is it needs to be louder because I don't hear much bass at all.

EDIT: Just seen the above post about the bass.

very good song man, i like mix between guitars and synths.
i like a lot your general drums sound but maybe are too loud.

Mind sharing your s2.0 preset?