Modes/Scales that remind you of particular artist

Molecular Diffusion

New Metal Member
Aug 24, 2006
When I hear certain modes or scales, especially when played in a partcualr fashion, the work of other artists comes to mind. For example:

- Augmented, lydian, mixolydian, etc: Steve Vai

- Harmonic minor, diminished, half-diminished: Yngwie Malmsteen

Come on, everyone that hears a broken chord can be reminded of the classics, maybe some testament (alex skolnick era) but since Yngqie seems to be limitied, and he lives in modern times, it reminds me of him.

So, to some of you, what comes to your mind when you hear particular contructs?

Being mindful of this can help you achieve several things. For example, when you hear an artist milk a scale and you happen to like the scale, it is best to sit down, take the same scale but put your own flavor into it. That way one doesn't sound like he/she is emulating another artist and might even come up with something unique.

Phrygian is definately one that's used alot in metal, along with "harmonic minor" as you mentioned.:headbang: I really love that Lydian sound alot when used in a certain way and also melodic minor; specifically that "altered" sound.

Another player that comes to mind that really leans toward one tonality is Jeff Loomis. He's definately "Mr. Diminished"!:lol: A really cool one that I recently found out about is Hungarian Minor. I've heard Al Dimeola use it and even our very own Chris Broderick.

Dave Mustane exclusively uses pentatonic as he cannot play much else and in my humble opion, he should stick to rhythm guitar, not solo.

Japanese Pentatonics = Friedman & Becker.
Harmonic Minor = Yngwie.
Phrygian Stuff = Michael Romeo, Paco de Lucia, Theodore Ziras.
Whole Tone Scale = Michael Romeo.
Major & Minor Arpeggios & Scales = Luca Turilli.
Diminished = Yngwie, Michael Romeo, Friedman.

And this is not a guitarrist but reminds me of this scale that I dont think any of the Guitarrist mentioned above use on their songs:
J.S Bach = Melodic Minor