Mom-and-pop shops fading away...

I own a small music and clothing shop in a small town 100 miles east of san francisco. The only place to buy music used to be wal mart and k mart. Theres no way you could get anything more extreme than the mainstream there. I carry all the harder edged music and do well. There is no way I could survive if I were competing with these giants, theyre killing this country. I love capatalism, but to much of anything is unhealthy....how much money do you need?:headbang:

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
Rush was actually a bottle of "legal" sniff back in the day that you could get at head shops. For $5.99 you got a 5 minute buzz and a 60 minute headache!

In regards to lesser-known bands having a hard time making it worthwhile: then a website like this is a perfect place for them. They act as a consortium or coalition......like a group of small companies formed to undertake an enterprise or activity that would be beyond the capabilities of the individual members. They work together, market together, share the costs together, and split the profits together. They reach an audience that they normally wouldn't be able to afford by themselves. Power in numbers!
Yeah, I know what RUSH is, Winnipeg. I killed more than a few brain cells on that stuff back in high school! I just didn't want to say it out loud, so I tried to make a clever analogy about Rush, the band. :D

And you're right, if someone came up with a mass-band storefront similar to what Deron has done here with message boards, it could be successful. You'd have to get a lot of bands singed up before you launched though, unless you've got some deep pockets to cover the CC fees until it starts becoming profitable. You've also got the logistical problems of stocking all the merchandise for every band and have a shipping department who can get the orders turned around in a timely fashion. Could be done though, with some hard work and a chunk of change.

NP: Shannon Curfmann

Greeno said:
After reading TSO's thread about the music shop I saw this at Blabbermouth. It's a shame that the cool old shops are closing up because they can't compete with WalMart and the internet. There is a shop not far from me that I try to give as much of my business to as possible. When I'm going to order a disc I always try them first, if they can't get it then I go to the net. I hope everyone here supports their local shops.

Yes it IS very ashamed Mom and Pop shops can't compete with Wal-Mart, but they need to work harder to do that. A Mom and Pop place can't sell Madonna's newest release cheaper than Wal-Mart, but they might can sell hard core rap that is too offensive for Wal-Mart, metal music that Wal-mart won't touch, newer bluegrass (this is the new "hippie" music) and classic music (Adult and AOR) that is hard to find.
Don't blame Wal-Mart for Mom and Pop businesses on the demise. Blame Mom and Pop businesses for not being crafty enough to deal with Wal-Mart. Even in today's society, there is enough room for a crafty entrepeneur. Don't take wal-mart head on. That doesn't work. Instead, feed the people just like you who are upset with Wal-Mart and the like.

Bryant

Unfortunately here in Indianapolis most of the mom and pop shops
that survive are the ones that sell hip-hop it seems like that's the only
music that hoosiers want to buy other than that kenny chesney shit and
nu-metal.

Bryant said:
Greeno said:
Yes it IS very ashamed Mom and Pop shops can't compete with Wal-Mart, but they need to work harder to do that. A Mom and Pop place can't sell Madonna's newest release cheaper than Wal-Mart, but they might can sell hard core rap that is too offensive for Wal-Mart, metal music that Wal-mart won't touch, newer bluegrass (this is the new "hippie" music) and classic music (Adult and AOR) that is hard to find.
Don't blame Wal-Mart for Mom and Pop businesses on the demise. Blame Mom and Pop businesses for not being crafty enough to deal with Wal-Mart. Even in today's society, there is enough room for a crafty entrepeneur. Don't take wal-mart head on. That doesn't work. Instead, feed the people just like you who are upset with Wal-Mart and the like.

Bryant

Agreed, it is not wal mart to blame. But also not the mom and pop shops. I think it would be (financially) pretty tough to specialize in certain genres that are e.g. too offensive for wal-mart. Madonna makes the money for the shops, if CDs are bought. Customers like us searching for something "special" need to check the web. Guess that is the way it is. However, it is sad. when I was 15 or so I did not need to walk far to find the music I want on vinyl or later on CD, not a problem. I stayed for hours in the shops, listened to records, looked around, it was great ... the good old days ... :err: . Just last week I had a couple of hours spare time to go for a walk downtown in a city in Austria where I was on business. Thought I´d go and get some CDs. Guess what, I did not find one shop for metal/ rock CDs..... sad.
However, I know a couple of shops in my region that sell CDs from privat insolvencies (right word ?). These shops are really cool. The CDs are just packed in cardboard boxes, and put whereever there is some room left in the shop. They sort roughly like, metal, pop, classic, jazz etc,. but nothing more, and if you are lucky you can find anything for a good price. But you need a lot of time to go through all these boxes. That is fun !

The End and The Laser's Edge are modern day mom and pop shops, IMO. When I started reading the story I was worried that it was about The End since they're in Salt Lake too.

It is a shame that the mom and pops are fading into history. I too spent many, many hours thumbing through albums and it's some of the best time I've ever spent. They always played some kick ass music in the store and once in a while I'd have to ask what it was so I could add it to my purchase. I used to hit up the local shops but the selection just wasn't worth the trip anymore. I prolly ought to try again.