Mom-and-pop shops fading away...

Greeno

Oct 14, 2003
WV USA
After reading TSO's thread about the music shop I saw this at Blabbermouth. It's a shame that the cool old shops are closing up because they can't compete with WalMart and the internet. There is a shop not far from me that I try to give as much of my business to as possible. When I'm going to order a disc I always try them first, if they can't get it then I go to the net. I hope everyone here supports their local shops.

--------------------------------------------------------

Salt Lake City's Heavy Metal Shop Struggles To Survive In Internet Age - Nov. 23, 2005

Jamie Gadette of the Salt Lake City Weekly has issued the following report:

Eleven years ago, the Heavy Metal Shop's Kevin Kirk ordered 1,000 copies of SLAYER's "Divine Intervention" and sold every last album in a matter of weeks. Now, he's lucky if customers will buy even 20 copies of the thrash legends' latest release. In fact, illegal downloading, CD burners and big-box competition have forced Kirk to scale back on orders for any artist, popular or otherwise.

"I used to have a lot of regulars who came in every payday to buy new CDs," he said, adding that while many customers remain loyal, others took off in favor of cheaper, more convenient outlets — namely the Internet. He makes up the difference by selling black hoodies, T-shirts and other merchandise bearing his infamous signature skull logo. "I don't know how any independent store succeeds today without selling products you can't find somewhere else."

Kirk's message rings true for indie record shops across the country. Gone are the days when mom-and-pop retailers survived on CDs and vinyl alone. Those unwilling to supplement traditional merchandise with non-music-related items struggle to attract younger customers who’d rather visit iTunes than sift through dusty stacks for Wire's Chairs Missing. West Valley City's Starbound Records stayed true to its original vision for more than two decades before closing its doors this fall. Despite a steady stream of longtime regulars, the stalwart music store couldn't keep up with underground bootleggers.

Read more at SLWeekly.com.

that's really a shame. If there was a local metal shop around here, I would be their biggest customer!!:D But there isn't, all I have is FYE, and the internets:erk:

Well, that Kevin Kirk guy has the right idea. First thing you do is add merchandise that people can't get anywhere else. I helped run a music store back in Idaho for a year and that was our philosophy. Forget the Madonna and Duran Duran crap, they can get that stuff anywhere. We specialized in Imports and obscure bands that the bigger stores like Budget and Musicland didn't even have. We did okay too, until the store owner bailed out because it was "too much work".

It is sad to see so many Mom and Pop shops fade away, though, and I do try to support them when I can. The only music store within a reasonable distance for me is a little indepenant called JP's. That guy doesn't even have a computer. He orders out of this old tattered book that is a year old, and that tattered book doesn't list anything but American distributors. I gave up ordering from him. There is a nice little independant shop up in Montana called Sunshine Records (I used to hang around their shop when I still had snot running out of my nose!). I've special ordered about 20 cds from them over the past few summers and I usually got what I wanted in 5-7 days. Only glitch was this summer when I ordered the first two Fastway albums remastered on one disc. And they sent me the old Columbia copy of the first album (which I already had). They fixed it right away though.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
We specialized in Imports and obscure bands that the bigger stores like Budget and Musicland didn't even have. We did okay too, until the store owner bailed out because it was "too much work".

I agree 102% with your assestment of the situation. In here everything is imported from USA or Europe, the stores carry a bit of everything mostly highll popular stuff at high prices.
The metal stores carry a bit of every conceivable sub-genre but mainly the popular stuff and never much up-to-date. So I have to rely on CD Universe, The End or any other online shop. Sadly many of them don't have the stuff I look for available and/or at good prices.

A local store specialized in rare, oop, indie and other stuff will be dandy, those stores can easily compete against Wal-Mart, Sam Goody, etc on the basis of that specialization.

Wyvern said:
I agree 102% with your assestment of the situation. In here everything is imported from USA or Europe, the stores carry a bit of everything mostly highll popular stuff at high prices.
The metal stores carry a bit of every conceivable sub-genre but mainly the popular stuff and never much up-to-date. So I have to rely on CD Universe, The End or any other online shop. Sadly many of them don't have the stuff I look for available and/or at good prices.

A local store specialized in rare, oop, indie and other stuff will be dandy, those stores can easily compete against Wal-Mart, Sam Goody, etc on the basis of that specialization.

Hey Wyv.. when i was in CR this past October.. i went to the Planet Mall? i think that is what it was called in San Pedro near the University of Costa Rica... there was a metal shop there... had alot of CD's though mainly extreme metal bands (BM, DM, etc.) but they also had mainstream metal bands, power metal bands, etc... you should check that shop out.. though there prices seem to be comparable to U.S prices... anyways other then that just wanted to say that i Hope to open a metal shop of my own in the future but with mixed merchandise and a online site with low shipping/handling (really what they charge for shipping/handling is ridiculous...) ....

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
Hey Wyv.. when i was in CR this past October.. i went to the Planet Mall? i think that is what it was called in San Pedro near the University of Costa Rica... there was a metal shop there... had alot of CD's though mainly extreme metal bands (BM, DM, etc.) but they also had mainstream metal bands, power metal bands, etc... you should check that shop out.. though there prices seem to be comparable to U.S prices... anyways other then that just wanted to say that i Hope to open a metal shop of my own in the future but with mixed merchandise and a online site with low shipping/handling (really what they charge for shipping/handling is ridiculous...) ....

I was referring to that shop, the prices are outrageous, the stuff is basically mainstream black, death, thrash, power etc. Nothing really interesting except maybe in the prog section but again the prices are ludicrously high. I found that buying through CD Universe or The End shipping to CR or to Miami (and they courier to here) I save easily 2500-3000 colones per album (around $5 per unit).
Also I usually get the stuff months ahead to (if) the arrival to local stores.

Ther's a store in downtown San José, I went there once and the stuff was much more interesting (the prices were so-so), but:

1. Only cash, they don't accept CC which it's a drag
  2. It's downtown on a difficult zone to go and park, and frankly these days going downtown is an invitation to get mugged.

Wyvern said:
Exactly Wyv! I think the biggest challenge is knowing WHAT to stock. One man would have a hard time at it, unless his tastes were highly eclectic and he spent 18 hours a day listening to new music in all genres. But if you could hire a small team of employees, each specializing in their own area, it should be fairly easy to accomplish. For example, if I were to start a record store, I know I've got all the classic stuff in my head, plus all the modern true/power/prog metal and some of the hard rock. I'd steer for hiring some guy or gal that really knows their way around the underground extreme scene so they could fill out my hardcore/death/black metal category. Then I'd probably hire some other eclectic fanatic who's into jazz, and country, and classical, etc.

I think the basic problem with Mom and Pop record stores is that they don't know WHAT to order. It's not that they CAN'T order what we want, they just aren't informed enough to know what to stock.

NP: Deadsoul Tribe - The Dead Word

Wyvern said:
I was referring to that shop, the prices are outrageous, the stuff is basically mainstream black, death, thrash, power etc. Nothing really interesting except maybe in the prog section but again the prices are ludicrously high. I found that buying through CD Universe or The End shipping to CR or to Miami (and they courier to here) I save easily 2500-3000 colones per album (around $5 per unit).
Also I usually get the stuff months ahead to (if) the arrival to local stores.

Ther's a store in downtown San José, I went there once and the stuff was much more interesting (the prices were so-so), but:

1. Only cash, they don't accept CC which it's a drag
  2. It's downtown on a difficult zone to go and park, and frankly these days going downtown is an invitation to get mugged.

I liked there selection in that shop in Planet Mall actually just didnt like the prices.. i ended up paying like $18 for a Emperor CD...

Yeah i heard that about downtown SJ.. but i havent encountered any problems there yet and i have GRINGO written all over me... LoL .. :p .. perhaps you should open a shop yourself Wyv in CR... with reasonable prices. im sure you would do good..

I am very familiar with the Heavy Metal Shop and Starbound Records in that article..I have spent many years visiting those stores, since I live just up the road a few hours from Salt Lake City..

It is a shame, but here is one point to make about both shops. Heavy Metal Shop has ZERO inventory..there is so little to browse as far as CDs, and a very small LP section..that doesnt really shock me that the shop is having trouble. Starbound priced themselves out of business. For example, they had LP copies of Legs Diamond-Firepower still sealed, but far from mint conditon for $22.00 dollars! Majority of their metal LPs were priced anywhere from 8-35 dollars, and were absolutely in TERRIBLE condition. So, no shock there people stopped buying when things like that were happening..

There is still a market for the Mom and Pop music stores..however theses shops need a whole new state of mind of how to compete with the Walmarts and internet. Majority of these shops are still trying to do business with what worked 10-20 years ago. Times are different, adapt, and survive...

My two cents..

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me LFR, the second part of the plan of a successful Mom and Pop shop would be to get SOME KIND of internet presence. Whether you're on ebay, or an amazon reseller, or your own website with functioning shopping cart, whatever. But you must have an internet presence in order to reach the widest audience possible.

That was my problem with that JP's record store I talked about. He had no clue about the internet and still worked out of that tattered music bibliography like they did back in the 80s.

NP: Leaves' Eyes - Vinland Saga

The way the Mom and Pop here survives is to have an inventory of 50% new and 50% used, plus they have a PC connected to the net right there at the register. So special ordering is a snap, they check to see if they can get it and if so it arrives in no more tha 3 days... very fast with the delivery times! Not that they can get everything I'm looking for but they come through about 85% of the time.

Greeno and TSO,

You guys are absolutely 100% correct. Used bins are great, because it gives buyers a chance to snag some rare out of print stuff, and normally that keeps people coming back time and time again if your used stock is constantly being updated. More traffic in your store of course leads to more sales.

Greeno, you make a great point with your special order comment. This way the buyer can still get the items they want, PLUS they are getting killed with high shipping costs. But they key is, large database, and a quick turnaround.

I love the mom and pop shops because the internet is so un-personal. I like to browse and look at stuff in person. The internet is great, but that hands on approach in my book cannot be beat.

I am making a trip to Tucson in January to hit PDQ Records. What a great used music store..Im freakin jazzed about it!!!

Stocking used cds is also a must in my proposed business plan. Guess I should start making bullet points...

Having internet access right in the store is paramount, like your local store, Greeno. That's how it is at that Sunshine Records in Montana that I talked about. If I ask about ordering something, the clerk looks it up immediately on their computer. I know right then, right there if they can get it for me. If I happen to time my inquiry just before they make their bi-weekly order, I can have it in 2-3 days.

LFR, I'm not much of a browser anymore (used to be) because I research everything on the internet. Now I treat trips to the music store the same as I do the grocery store. I have my list, I go in and hope to find what I want. Too many trips that lead to disappointment will discourage me. I've not heard of PDQ Records though, so if you want to take me along, let me know! I only live about 25 miles from the I-10 Casa Grande exit and it's right on your way!

Hate to say this.....because I miss those shops. But everything I buy now on CD or DVD is through Amazon. Saves time hopping in the car, parking, paying for petrol, and fighting traffic. With a click of the mouse, it's done in no time. And it's delivered right to my door.

But I remember when I would spend hours sifting through all the LP's back in the day. That was an experience that you just don't get nowadays. Especially if you're an "old school" metal fan. Because most of the old titles just aren't available any more because they aren't stocked. It sucks, but it's the reality.

Those old shops were cool. You could get your LP, your rock poster, and your bottle of RUSH all at the same time for under $20 bucks! Good times back then!

The only way for them to compete is to have a good website with a booking engine. Like the travel offices. Otherwise, people shop with their fingers nowadays. Right or wrong, it just is. Most bands should have a booking engine for album and merchandise sales. You've got to play the game to play the game!

poppers.jpg

I assume that by saying "bottle of RUSH" that you aren't talking about an old wine bottle with carboard cutouts of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart inside? he he

The challenge with a band setting up their own shopping cart on their website is usually money. Shopping carts cost money to build, and if you're going to take credit cards, there is a hefty monthly fee from each CC company, plus they take a percentage of each transaction. So you have to be moving a good amount of merchandise in order to come out ahead. Now bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden shouldn't have a problem with that, but smaller, lesser-known bands would have a hard time making it worthwhile.

Rush was actually a bottle of "legal" sniff back in the day that you could get at head shops. For $5.99 you got a 5 minute buzz and a 60 minute headache!

In regards to lesser-known bands having a hard time making it worthwhile: then a website like this is a perfect place for them. They act as a consortium or coalition......like a group of small companies formed to undertake an enterprise or activity that would be beyond the capabilities of the individual members. They work together, market together, share the costs together, and split the profits together. They reach an audience that they normally wouldn't be able to afford by themselves. Power in numbers!

Haha I remember that rush stuff from school man that was way back in
the day! Along with drinking Little Kings and MD 20/20. Yeah a friend
of mine had to close his storefront down here in Indy and his problem is
though he only sold like underground metal and he was way out of my
way on the southside plus he badgered all the nu-metal and other forms
of metal kids on the local metal site I go to. So he burned a lot of bridges
but I guess he still sells his stuff online so he's really not hurting. It's a long story.