Monitor bug has bitten me, Adam A7's or Genelec 8030's/8040s?

Yes, its another monitor poll!

Votes: 1 4.8%

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A7

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters

kev

Im guybrush threepwood
Jun 16, 2004
Bristol, United Kingdom
www.myspace.com
Chaps,

Time has come for the ESI's to take a shower, and bring in some more beef.

Ive been narrowing down a lot, and come up with A7's and Genelec 8030s, so i thought i'd see what you guys thought in the land of metal. A7's look like good value for what they are doing to me, have a nice big mid range but could be a bit harder on the ears. The genelecs seem to be amazing sounding but have a bit of a penchant for sugar coating things. The room im in is quite small, but not an absolute shoe box so i think i could get away with 6.5" drivers.

Unfortunately, theres no way in hell i can test them out against eachother, so here goes another one of my blind buys!

A brief aside also- im currently mixing in the corner of the room, given these speakers are bigger, would it be a great deal benefecial to move out a little?

kev

I got a7s and I love em, found 80 series gennelecs to sound nice but a little hyped; not as bad as say mackie 824s which are horrible.
The a7s are so nice and non fatigueing. Get em, you won't be dissapointed

Whilst im at it, i have a little fear of bigger monitors causing more chaos in the corner where I am currently based. What do you think of the following proposed move, beneficial?

desk.JPG

Yeah, most definitely, and perhaps also rotating it 90 degrees so you can move the desk away from the wall a bit and have more space between the backs of the monitors and the wall! (the importance of which cannot be overstated for controlling bass)

I have 8030's myself and I have been very satisfied with them, but I have noticed that I tend to mix everything really dark sounding with them because the high end is really bright and crispy. Otherwise no complainings except the low end ends too early, so I voted for 8040's as you don't nessecarily need a subwoofer with them.

Yeah, most definitely, and perhaps also rotating it 90 degrees so you can move the desk away from the wall a bit and have more space between the backs of the monitors and the wall! (the importance of which cannot be overstated for controlling bass)

Cheers dude. I'll get on that over the week I think, and prepare for the incoming arrival of what are likely going to be the A7's! I do wonder whether to flog the ESI near 05's or keep them as backup. Probably the latter :loco:

I have 8030's myself and I have been very satisfied with them, but I have noticed that I tend to mix everything really dark sounding with them because the high end is really bright and crispy. Otherwise no complainings except the low end ends too early, so I voted for 8040's as you don't nessecarily need a subwoofer with them.

Thanks for the input dude :headbang:

Cant be good can it lol! :puke:

I guess not, not been doing too bad so far though. Ive got maybe a foot from the left hand side of my desk and the wall. But my left monitor is angled so the back end of it is pointing into the corner of the room. I assume some acoustic foam right behind it would help.

I guess you get used to these things after a while!

I guess not, not been doing too bad so far though. Ive got maybe a foot from the left hand side of my desk and the wall. But my left monitor is angled so the back end of it is pointing into the corner of the room. I assume some acoustic foam right behind it would help.

I guess you get used to these things after a while!

Yeh exactly the same here! Angled right in there : ( I think im gonna go buy a new desk and chair (cant quite afford a Herman Miller lmao) and brighten my room up for the summer!

I assume some acoustic foam right behind it would help.

Actually...not at all :D It's bass buildup that's the issue when you have a monitor near a wall, and it's made that much worse with corners! Really fucks with the stereo image too, now that I'm back home from college in my much more cramped room in my parents house, I'm dealing with that myself, and after how symmetrical my room at school was it's not fun :erk:

Actually...not at all :D It's bass buildup that's the issue when you have a monitor near a wall, and it's made that much worse with corners! Really fucks with the stereo image too, now that I'm back home from college in my much more cramped room in my parents house, I'm dealing with that myself, and after how symmetrical my room at school was it's not fun :erk:

:( Ah, damn....bass traps wont help then?