Monitor bug has bitten me, Adam A7's or Genelec 8030's/8040s?

Yes, its another monitor poll!

Votes: 1 4.8%

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A7

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
ahhh
foam is pretty much useless for bass traps; not the greatest stuff in the world generally....

I have a pair of A7s. Probably the best thing about them is that even though they are quite bright, they are the least fatiguing speaker I've worked with. Also, unlike my Wharfedales they make it quite obvious when there are nasty and boxy mids, which makes it very frustrating to work with less than ideal guitar tracks but it pays up in the end. The ribbon tweeter really helped me hear what's happening in the high-end and my newer mixes sound a lot crisper and cleaner. You have to be careful, though, as you can get carried away and it won't sound too bright on the Adams (a bit ironic, since they are pretty bright speakers). The low end is really tight but they don't go very low. In fact, that's my only dissappointment so far, and I'll be getting a sub to remedy this.

edit: I forgot to mention I got mine a few months ago when they were 150GBP cheaper than they are now. You can check Dynaudio's Bm5A which sound quite nice and have more low end but they are rear ported so that might be an issue in your room.

Wickes for just normal fibreglass (green packet not orange), or Travis Perkins does RW3 and RW45 rockwool insulation I believe, and can be hagled with if you buy a lot.

Joe

I use the A7's too.
I love them! Certainly made a huge difference in my mixing and was a real step
up from my old monitors!

Wickes for just normal fibreglass (green packet not orange), or Travis Perkins does RW3 and RW45 rockwool insulation I believe, and can be hagled with if you buy a lot.

Joe

nice - you made any? how they working out?

I'm building 20 or so panels this afternoon! Will report back.

yeah good luck and let us know how it goes!

has anyone from our isles done DIY treatment? where you guys getting materials from?

I made a load of traps with stuff sourced from England when I was living in Dublin. StudioSpares had a cheap deal on Rockwool at the time. Wickes or Travis Perkins also had usable insulation materials as well. Get some timber, cloth and gloves (itchy!) and you're good to go.

John Sayers' site also has a dedicated forum for sourcing materials in each country.

Ed, I made 2 100mm thick bass traps, 2 50 mm first reflexion traps and a 100mm cloud. I brought some cotton dust sheets, 3 for £20 and used them as pillow cases, stapled them together and turned em inside out, and put the rockwool in, then tacked the top to the walls (ideally they should be on spacers to improve their efficiency). It works well, improves imaging massively, and tightens everything up a bit. I would buy about 2 packs of the wickes stuff to start out, make a load of 100mm pannels and maybe some monster 200mm bass traps, and back them with pegboard or some cheap sheet material to keep em rigid. It looks ugly as sin but it helps a lot.

Joe

enjoy em bud.
FYI i turned the tweeter down on mine by like 1 click i think, coz the top was a touch lairy in control room