monitor upgrade help

There are tons of threads about the Yamaha HS80M's.
I was convinced to buy a pair to upgrade from 1st gen KRK Rokit 5's.

I've had them for quite a while now and I still wasn't sure if I liked them or not, but after doing my first 'real' mix on them a few weeks ago and hearing how it translated really good; I feel pretty good about my investment.

im looking at the Alesis M1 Active MK2. anyone tried this one out?

i have the M1 620's, and they honestly hold their own pretty well against monitors that are twice the price

the only gripes i have is that the high end is a bit hyped, but you can use the EQ switch on the back to turn it down, and i recently learned that all of the powered alesis monitors suffer from a design flaw that eventually causes a capacitor in the power supply board to fail. it's a cheap/easy fix, and won't cause a problem until you've had them for a few years, but it's something to take into account before buying.

ya i read about that and its actually the same problem my m-audio has, im attempting to fix it right now so i can save some $$. but thanks for the input guys, ill see how my repair goes first

well my repair didnt turn out so good so back to research.

@jack i didnt notice that one sold as a pair!

@BLUElightCory ya i went there the other day but not everything on that webpage is in stock. the store was about to close so i just did a quick popin. will go back for sure and listen.

@backe like i said im not a serious mixer i only mix songs that ppl provide here. so no room treatment right now (would be nice though!) just looking for something more for entertainment.

im reading up on the KRK VXT-6. seems to have good reviews. really flat with detailed mids non fatiguing highs and just enough lows. what are your thoughts on this model?

I must agree. If you can set these up properly they can be amazing. At first I felt they were flat and dead sounding. But after correct positioning and tweaking the controls on the back I find them to be amazing. I can now hear the BOOM properly. I noticed that a lot of my stuff was BOOMY. But it wasn't til i get this bad boys til i realized what i was doing wrong. Now, when I listen to a lot of sneapster material I can seriously hear how their mixes are too boomy in the low region. They could definitely benefit from these monitors and proper positioning and treatment. So I recommend these. I was able to get the pair for 300$ on craigslist, it was a steal.

a7x was out of stock but it was avail for rent. so i have em for a month to play with. wow man they sound great. still would like to spend less money on something 'decent' but its hard after hearing these. i love how theres freq controls too. it can get a bit fatiguing on the highs cause i sit real close to them so its nice to be able to use the eq at the back. the low end is great too, not lacking at all.