Monitors against wall

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

I know your first reaction will be 'NOOOOOOO' :lol:But I may need to put my monitors against the wall. Let me explain: My wife decided to turn my daughter's old bedroom into an min-office, so i might be bringing my monitors home. The thing is, the room is small (almost square 3mx3m :erk:) and since it will also be used by her (and by my daughter - there are still some of her toys in there) I cannot take much space for myself. So, if the monitors are against a wall, what can be done, besides trapping directly behind them, to make it sound less shitty?

Cheers,
Ivan

Some monitors have a switch on the back, like the Mackie for instance, which makes them sound slightly different in the low end depending if they are in a empty space, near to a wall or in room corners. Maybe yours have that too?

Some monitors have a switch on the back, like the Mackie for instance, which makes them sound slightly different in the low end depending if they are in a empty space, near to a wall or in room corners. Maybe yours have that too?

Yeah, the Yamaha HS series has the room control options, too. They can only help you so much, though.

In such a square, small room, you're bound to get some serious trouble, especially in the low-end. You should at least put some bass traps in the corners, and hang some absorbers in the early reflection points to your side and back walls and the ceiling. It's not hopeless, my last mixing room was nearly like that, and with some basic treatment I got the nasty flutters minimized in the listening position and the frequency response ended up looking like this:http://tainted-studio.com/misc/room160210.jpg

It's not as bad as it could be, but there's still some horrible stuff going on in the lower frequencies.

Good luck! :)

Nah, my home monitors are those KRK rokits 8 G1. They only have a 'treble' knob that actually just make 'em like 1% less muddy. So, basically, the only fix is bass trapping huh ? I think my rockwool is gonna be delivered by tomorrow after a 2 month wait, so let's see.

Cheers
Ivan

Sounds like a pretty nasty scenario ;/

Your best bet is to superchunk all corners and add panels behind the speakers (make sure the heatsinks are not obstructed though).

Nah, my home monitors are those KRK rokits 8 G1. They only have a 'treble' knob that actually just make 'em like 1% less muddy. So, basically, the only fix is bass trapping huh ? I think my rockwool is gonna be delivered by tomorrow after a 2 month wait, so let's see.

Cheers
Ivan

I have the same monitors, I always just leave that HF Level Adjust thing at zero, that's basically telling your speakers to lie to you even more than the G1's already do. Unfortunately I have to do the same thing and put them very near a wall, but killing early reflection points right around the speakers does help quite a bit aside from bass trapping.