monitors from below

xconnyx

www.iheartsound.com
May 30, 2007
germany/bielefeld
www.iheartsound.com
hi!

i was wondering if anyone of you angles their monitors upwards. i found a pic of a setup like this on the support page of steinberg, and have rarely seen these before. of course could be just a setup to make it look good on the pic but as for the fact that steinberg is a rather famous company i was wondering if there is any sense behind that setup.

i'll be moving soon so i'm thinking of new placements anyway.

here is the like to the pic

Support_940x350.jpg

thanks

Well of course you can do that... You could use upward angled monitor isolation pads for this, like those from Primacoustic (they got horizontal and downfire ones too)

http://www.primacoustic.com/recoil.htm

ADAM audio has special upward angled desktop stands for their smaller monitors (A5)

i03.jpg

Yes, it's obligatory to have them angled and you also have to put your displays on random packaging boxes you had lying around. :saint:

actually i was more hoping for a reply talking about comb filter effects.

as the monitors a placed closer to the flat desk surface you'll have a smaller/shorter comb filter effect which will result in the comb filter (created by reflections on the desk surface) will start on a higher frequency.

we use this effect effect of creating a pressure zone in a couple of ways in audio engineering. most used by a beta98 inside of the beta91 housing. as well as used to measure big rooms when you put the measurement mic on the floor. the comb filter then is about 5mm long starting at something about 12khz.

this is actually what i was wondering about on placing my speakers closer to the flat surface to avoid comb filters. as i dont have a mixing desk or something like that on my desk i get reflections pretty good.