Monitors: Samson Resolv A8 vs M-Audio BX8A

Dave1978

Nov 23, 2007
Germany
I've tested a few monitors recently. I liked the Samson A8 very much. I didn't had the chance to hear the M-Audio BXA8 though, so I wonder if I should give them a try before ordering the Samson Resolv A8.
The only thing I dind't like about the A8 was the very dominant bass sound. Does someone know both monitors? Does the BX8a have less bass but the same transparency as the A8?

Try Samson Rubicons. Just do it.

I use a pair myself and I've heard people say they're lightyears above Resolvs.

My BX8As coupled with DIY monitor stands (100lbs each! filled with sand), MoPads and treatment in the room have given me excellent results translating to other systems.

The only thing I dind't like about the A8 was the very dominant bass sound. Does someone know both monitors? Does the BX8a have less bass but the same transparency as the A8?

The Bx8a's are not bass heavy at all, they being to have a rolloff at 100 and finally hit a high pass at 56Hz, so while the lows are there, there are realistic and controlled for a monitor of that price. Better all around in terms of clarity and bass response/tightness to the similar spec'd KRKs, and Mackies.

My BX8As coupled with DIY monitor stands (100lbs each! filled with sand), MoPads and treatment in the room have given me excellent results translating to other systems.

I don't even have anything for treatment nor are my Bx8a's coupled from my desk, but the still translate on other systems extremely well.

I can definitely reccomend the BX8a's, with a treated room and a Behringer FBQ2496 I get great results.
(I'm upgrading to the Adam A8X's with a sub when I'll get the money tho, that's the plan at least)

I found the BX5A to sound smaller than they looked it was bizarre. I don't have a lot of experience with those but I think they're overrated and it's worth spending more.
The BX8A is SO tubby and undefined in the low end I can't understand how they're so popular. They are instantly improved by Recoil Stabilizers but still not what I would consider accurate.
They sound like party speakers to me.

At work (pro audio retail) we had BX8As with recoil stabilizers, Yamaha HS80 and MSP7s wired up for demos. Obviously different price ranges but I rarely turned the BX8As on because they sounded so bad to me. I was always going back and forth between the HS80s and MSP7s comparing stuff (Morter Dub by Dub Trio being one of my favorite tests).

I'm sure the Bx8as would be ok if there was a low shelf or low cut adjustment on them, but that was omitted for some reason.
In general I don't like 8" woofers. They're too slow. MOST home studios are too small and with not enough treatment, speakers that put out too much bass are the last thing you'd want.

I use HS50s at home, no sub.

sounds like you just all around don't like 8" woofers in general. Considering my previous setup, my BX8s lack low end. While at higher volumes you begin to lose low end clarity, I don't have mine decoupled from my desk (which has a bad resonance) and have absolutely no acoustic treatment in my room.

I have actually talked to a few people including a friend who works at a local music store (guitar center at the time) tell me about how he got a pair of KRK 6's and a few months later the BX series came out and he was pissed off because for the price they were better. And I continued to hear the same thing. Eventually I got to listen to a few except the BX8s and looking back on it now, for the price, you really can't go wrong. Sure they aren't the best for absolute professional studios, but for people who have recording studio in their house that record their own music and mix other local bands aren't too worried about dropping over a grand for monitors or the additional thousands for acoustical treatment that you should do especially for more expensive monitors.

Now are you talking about the original 8's or the Deluxe?

I got myself a pair BX5a yesterday on ebay for about 100 €. I think it's a good deal. For that price I don't care that those probably won't be my monitors for life ;)

I've sold my whole homerecording setup last year (almost everything in my signature) and I'm glad that I can finally make music again. I can still upgrade anytime if it's necesarry. So far the BX5a will do it.

sounds like you just all around don't like 8" woofers in general.
I don't and I stated that above. However MSP10 and the Mackie HR824 or Genelecs with 8" are fine. They have way better amps and crossovers and room adjustments.

Then your review is invalid.
No offense but that's not really the ideal situation to be making recommendations.
When it comes to monitor speakers: stands + decoupling + traps or GTFO. :lol:

Now are you talking about the original 8's or the Deluxe?

There's been 3 versions of the BX line.
Original BX8 had eq (discontinued ~5? years ago)
BX8A no eq (discontinued ~2 years ago)
BX8A deluxe - no eq, improved supposedly (current production model)

I've heard the latest 2 versions and disliked both.

i like my bx8a's used heavily for 3yrs, i think they are almost unusable in small rooms without acoustic treatment, which i think can be said about large monitors in general. im using them in a room about 9ft x 14ft x 8ft height.

I put on some homemade stands with some mopads and shit loads of diy acoustic treatment and after that never had any issues with anything really, they sound great and do the job. i probably wont upgrade till i can afford to upgrade my interface too.

i also use some bx5a deluxe for a smaller setup and they sound as i would expect for a small setup, lots of usable mids and tight and punchy lows.

i do believe everything starts evening out with proper acoustic treatment.

I don't and I stated that above. However MSP10 and the Mackie HR824 or Genelecs with 8" are fine. They have way better amps and crossovers and room adjustments.

And the MSP10s and Genelecs are a hell of a lot more expensive.

Then your review is invalid.
No offense but that's not really the ideal situation to be making recommendations.
When it comes to monitor speakers: stands + decoupling + traps or GTFO. :lol:

my point was considering my setup, the bass should be extremely out of control, but thats really not the case. If their bass was too muffled and sloppy, I would have a lot of problems, but like I said, I am not having that problem at all.

But then again the acoustics of my room are not that bad, I really only have a mild standing wave at 90Hz (about 3-6db) and I need a defuser or two on the parallel walls.

Which tools do you use to analyze your room? I just bought myself a couple of acoustic elements for my new apartment. The only thing I always do is putting some bass traps in the corners and some absorber(?) on the wall behind the monitors. That's it. With the curtains, the carpet and all the furniture it sounded relative dry after all. But it would be nice to have more insight whats going on in my room ;)