Monitors

Feb 1, 2009
Hey guys, i need some really nice reference monitors for our new studio and i need a bit of advice on getting the right ones. Mainly for mixing metal and to support a nice big sound. only have about 400 - 500 quid but please help cheers

Not NS10's on their own. KRK Rokit gen 2 are meant to be good as are the HS80's.

I like my Fostex PM01's as well but they are a bit bright and edgy.

Joe

Anyone got the KRK Rokit Powered 8 Gen2? Was thinking of getting a pair, either those or the HS80, right now I have a pair of m-audio Bx5a, and the lack of definition in the low end is driving me a bit crazy :(

Yes, you're absolutely right, but since I'm not gonna stay in my bedroom forever might as well get some really decent monitors for the time I move out instead of room treatment

In an untreaded room they're gonna get boomy. I'll get the HS50s instead and check your low end with some headphones from time to time.

+1 to treating the room

Buy some bass traps and hang them up in the corners and it'll do wonders. And when you move, they're easy to take with you so its just as good an investment as monitors. Its like buying an amazing guitar to play through your Marshall MG. Take a more balanced approach as your sound is only as good as the weakest link.

I've purchased from Glenn @ GIK Acoustics before with great results. Real Traps are also highly recommended

...and don't waste time/money on any of that foam shit