Monitors

some-dude

Aug 5, 2011
Hi.

Fairly new to the recording gig. I'm in the middle of trying to produce my first song with a full compliment of instruments. I tried mixing using regular headphones but the results sound like shit as I try the mix out on different sound systems. I have no idea what's going on in the low mids and can't get the balance between bass, kick and guitars sorted out.

i tried doing some research but the number of options has me confused. Nearfield vs midfield, 6" vs 8" speaker, headphones vs speaker enclosures, what brands are good and which aren't, etc. I've also noticed that a lot of dudes on here use two different sets of monitors and wondered why?

I'm obviously a hobbyist and I'm doing this as a creative outlet. My recording room is a concrete floored basement with drywall walls, then I go up to my living room to mix. SM57, M-Audio interface, MacBook Pro w/ Logic.

My budget for this is around $300... although I could be convinced to go higher if the results are worth it.

- You will probably be mixing with speakers close to you - Nearfields

- Headphones are handy to check certain mix elements, but exaggerate the stereo field and generally don't produce mixes that translate as well as those done with monitors.

- Speaker size generally references the woofer and has a direct effect on how much low end the speaker can output. Small, less bass / Big, more bass.

- Each pair of monitors sound different, you want your mix to sound great through as many speakers as possible, so it is handy to have more than one set to check mixes on. Some monitors are very smooth sounding and make everything sound good, while others are fairly harsh and really shine a light on nasty parts of a mix. Some are mid heavy, some are relaxed in the mids. Etc.....

Yamaha HS80M's are typically recommended around here for their mid-heavy voicing which is good for rock/metal. I am using some and found that my mixes translate very well for the most part. You should be able to get these USED for about $4-500.

Yamaha HS80M's are typically recommended around here for their mid-heavy voicing which is good for rock/metal. I am using some and found that my mixes translate very well for the most part. You should be able to get these USED for about $4-500.

Is there different versions of the HS80M? I found them new locally for $349.

Is it a good idea to pick up a subwoofer so I can hear what's going on in the sub-lows? Or will that distort/exaggerate the bottom end in a negative way for mixing?