Moody hardcorey song recorded at a big studio - no samples/reverb

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
Hey guys,

I want to share a track I produced/engineere/mixed earlier this week for a friend's new project. He's still looking for a vocalist so the track is instrumental for now.
Drums and guitars were tracked live at Monnow Valley Studio in Wales, which has a phenomenal live room and mic locker, it really was a pleasure to work there. We finished up by tracking bass and creating some synth textures at my home studio. The musicians involved are all really talented guys, and thankfully we were able to get away without any samples or artificial reverb on the drums, and no editing on the guitars or bass.
This bounce is running through a limiter to give it some volume, but the final product will be mastered elsewhere so I'm not pushing for ultimate loudness here.

I'd love to hear what you guys think, I'm happy to answer any questions too :)

Cheers!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/790683/Wrap Around Porch Full Mix 6.mp3

Sounds solid dude. The snare is great for a snare without samples. The kick it´s a bit muffled but for a real kick it´s quite good.

Thanks chaps, Nuno that's good to hear about the kick - the kick in track is actually punchy as hell and I've been holding it back in the mix to keep the aesthetic fairly raw, maybe I'll bring it up a touch though :)

HCL, London area, but I think they have a vocalist in the works already I'm afraid.

Thanks chaps, Nuno that's good to hear about the kick - the kick in track is actually punchy as hell and I've been holding it back in the mix to keep the aesthetic fairly raw, maybe I'll bring it up a touch though :)

HCL, London area, but I think they have a vocalist in the works already I'm afraid.

That's too far anyway! Bath/Bristol is just about within traveling distance. Agreed on the kick, everything sounds great.

Sweet, I just updated the link to a mix which features more kick in mic, I'm happier for it too so thanks for the feedback chaps :)

It sounds incredibly organic. I like the aesthetic but I feel like having an idea of the vocal approach would give a more solid idea of the song's identity if that makes any sense lol

Amazing work regardless!

It's really cool to hear Deathwish Records style hardcore without saturation over everything.

Glad you're gonna keep the dynamics too, love the change around 3:30.

It sounds awesome, but theres some cymbal bleed in the center that seems funky to me...maybe from the snare, idk could also be the room and I just hear it wrong though...or center OH or something...but the snare sounds awesome!

Agreed with Mago on the cymbal weirdness. Something is up there. They also sound a little harsh to me but I dunno. In any case, very cool mix.
I really dig the more organic, vibey approach. A lot of metal these days is really starting to sound "static" due to the over-editing and crazy use of drum samples.
This was pretty refreshing to listen to as a result.

Taking a second listen on better monitors, it's cool but it sounds like somebody took the processing of a metal song and tried to apply it to a hardcore band. Too much kick sub, cymbal compression and brightness.

The production style of Black Lodge in Southampton or Jack Shirley in SF might be a better fit:

http://thelonghauluk.bandcamp.com/album/debtors

Last edited by a moderator: