Moonspell

Razorhog

Aug 26, 2006
"Memorial" is the first Moonspell album I've heard. I'm really liking it. The vocals are a little hard to discern without reading the lyrics at the same time though. Are the past Moonspell albums the same quality? Oh and I'm still new at the genre and sub-genre thing, so what genre does Moonspell fall into?

Look, I'm new to these forums, give me a fucking break. I'm just trying to start a conversation. Hell, half the posts on the front page could be moved to one "sticky" thread or the other.

Sweet, thanks unknown I didn't even know about the metal archives. Wow I don't think I would have guessed they were "Folk Black Metal" in the early days

Razorhog said:
Look, I'm new to these forums, give me a fucking break. I'm just trying to start a conversation. Hell, half the posts on the front page could be moved to one "sticky" thread or the other.

lol, im not trying to give you a hard time. Just helping out a little.

IIRC from "back in the day", Moonspell were pretty dismal goth-metal sung by Portugese blokes moping about in lace.

It like a few of they're gothic tracks, but if you're into Gothic stuff you should start with Theatre Of Tragedy(Early stuff of course).

for a long time moonspell were not anything like "memorial" (i.e. the extreme vocals & heaviness has only come back with this new album, before that they were "gothic metal" with clean vocals and whatnot)

the albums you should get are basically "wolfheart" and/or "irreligious" and "under the moonspell" ep if you can find it (this is their only black metal release)

ivry91 said:
It like a few of they're gothic tracks, but if you're into Gothic stuff you should start with Theatre Of Tragedy(Early stuff of course).
no

Why not TOT? i think they're the most typical Beauty and Beast vocals you can find out there.

ivry91 said:
Why not TOT? i think they're the most typical Beauty and Beast vocals you can find out there.
good moonspell has nothing to do with this type of music. "memorial", if you've heard it, has nothing to do with theatre of tragedy and their ilk (terrible, awful genre and band)

oh yeah and if you like the extreme metal side of moonspell and want more you should get the DAEMONARCH album, it's basically the members of moonspell doing a black metal side project thing

Erik said:
good moonspell has nothing to do with this type of music. "memorial", if you've heard it, has nothing to do with theatre of tragedy and their ilk (terrible, awful genre and band)

i was just talking about Gothic stuff, my bad.

I've managed to find some samples from "The Antidote", and it kicks ass. There are some clean vocals mixed with the growls. So this is Goth Metal huh? I like it. I'm still learning the sub genres...is there a website with bands listed under different sub-genres? So far I've found this website

Metal Archives allows you to browse bands by sub-genre, and they have almost every metal band in existence on there.

I plan on seeing Moonspell with Katatonia and Daylight Dies in October. I don't own any of their albums, but what I've heard I've liked. I'll have to pick up a few albums before going to see them.

Moonspell is my 6th favorite band. Amazing music. One of the most popular bands in Portugal for a very good reason. Why can't there be more gothic metal bands like Moonspell out there. It'll be a pretty good idea seeing the success this band has had.
Ps: Firewalking is a freakin masterpiece.