Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus new album discussion.

I'm cautiously optimistic. When I saw them back in...2005 I believe they had great energy live, which obviously is only one facet so many years ago now, but it did at least show promise of passion for the music that made them infamous, which is one thing that is extremely important for an album such as this.

Pretty disappointed to see that Pete Sandoval wont be behind the kit. Regardless I have low expectations.

- Well, not having Pete Sandoval recording the album sucks...
- The cover looks awful imo
- The album name's ok, but the whole A,B,C sequence stuff sounds stupid to me.
- Still excited about the new album, saw them live a couple years ago and they played a fucking awesome set. BTW they've played one of the new songs and it sounded pretty good. Morbid Angel = One of the most influential DM bands, just can't pass this one (even after such a "strange" album as Herectic).

I pretty much only listen to early Morbid Angel, so I'm a little skeptical of Sandoval not drumming on this album, but I'm sure MA wouldn't pick out a shitty drummer.

Trey Azagthoth: "I'd say it's like an assemblage of all sorts of stuff from the catalog and some new influences. I listen to a lot of hardcore [techno] music now — the fuckin' serious, artistic stuff..."

HomerSimpson2.gif

I think he was implying that they assimilated the musical ethos of hardcore techno without incorporating actual techno music. I read some interview with Varg saying he was very influenced by trance or house or something on the early Burzum stuff and most would say that turned out alright. You probably shouldn't get your panties in a bunch over that statement.

Do people actually listen to Morbid Angel for David Vincent? His vocals was very good in the first 3 albums but went downhill very rapidly after that. Then even at his prime I never considered him to be a top tier death metal vocalist on the level of Chalky, L-G Petrov, Matti Karki etc, just a very good one. I don't see how him coming back will change the fact that the band has ran out of ideas since C.

Track listing.....

1."Omni Potens"
2."Too Extreme!"
3."Existo Vulgoré"
4."Blades for Baal"
5."I Am Morbid"
6."10 More Dead"
7."Destructos Vs. the Earth / Attack"
8."Nevermore"
9."Beauty Meets Beast"
10."Radikult"
11."Profundis - Mea Culpa"

This basically puts the nail in the coffin for me. I thought some of the song titles were a joke at first.

Do people actually listen to Morbid Angel for David Vincent? His vocals was very good in the first 3 albums but went downhill very rapidly after that. Then even at his prime I never considered him to be a top tier death metal vocalist on the level of Chalky, L-G Petrov, Matti Karki etc, just a very good one. I don't see how him coming back will change the fact that the band has ran out of ideas since C.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Morbid Angel, to many people, is Pete, Trey and David. They are generally praised for their first three albums, regarded to be their classic era, which he sang on. Tucker-era Morbid Angel is generally overlooked or flat out ignored (which is unfortunate really).

I like David Vincent's vocals though. He tried to inject some personality into them instead of just trying to be overly guttural like everyone else at the time. And I wouldn't say his vocals diminished over the course of those early albums. I believe he purposely made his vocals more accessible and tried to enunciate words better. I prefer his earlier style too but I'm sure he's still quite capable of pulling off the kind of performances found on those earlier albums.