Morbid Angel's unusual micing techniques

haha, crazy...
wait until forumites chime in to tell you that it must sound shit...
I remember not too long ago when russ russell posted a pic of some crazy guitarmicing and noone knew it was Ross (actually I might just have spilled it)...everyone was like "you're doing it wrong, do it like Sneap!"
;)

I'm always a fan of people experimenting and trying to get new sounds instead of copying the same thing over and over again "han I haz settings"

The thing is that they sound awsome, especially the wind rift thing. I just can't figure out how there isn't massive noise produced by the fan. I suppose a quiet fan and a lot of eq probably means that it isn't that noticeable in the mix. Because I'd imagine the fan and solo occupy very different frequency ranges.

Do you get some kind of Roto-Effekt out of putting a fan between speaker and mic?

check the first solo, at about 1:40, it's kind of like an underwater effect. Obviously there are some other effects, like delay and probably some other stuff on it aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to simplify a bit:
He uses the very common Marshall JCM900 100 watt amplifier with 1960's cabinet in stereo. His equalizer settings are set at the following: Gain 10, Treble 4, Middle 5, Bass 7, and Presence 6. He has the very expensive Eventide H3000S and Quadraverb running through the effects loop of the amps. For his rhythm tone he uses Rat Distortion and a Rane Eq. His floor effects include MXR Flanger, MXR Phaser, Analog Delay, and Uni Vibe Chorus.

While recording Formulas Fatal To The Flesh, they used many recording techniques in the studio to obtain their sound. Trey used a variety of combinations of techniques from his Mic-Ing Technologies Inc. Tech. Some of their more famous techniques include Wind Rift, Xposetron Probe E7A, and the Anti-Vacuum Culture.

The Wind Rift is a process of using an industrial size fan between the cabinet and the mic. He used a SM58 mic with a windscreen and had the airflow traveling away from the microphone. Trey did this in the 2nd solo section of "Prayer".

The Xposetron technique uses a metal mixing bowl with a hole cut in the center and a microphone placed there. This creates a sparkling effect in the high frequencies and a complex structure in the sub-harmonics. This technique was used in "Heaving Earth".

Last but not least, there is an Anti-Vacuum Culture Technique which requires an SM58 microphone with a glass bubble placed tightly over it, sealing it, and then placing the structure close to the cabinet's speaker. With this technique you must increase the trim on the board since no external sound waves reach the mic. All it will pick up are the sound waves that vibrate through the glass. Trey, used this technique in the "Nothing Is Not" solo as well as the last solo in "U Mu La Mah Ri"(The Bubbly Bong Hit Solo.)
l_a192df7aa360319911a32de986c4a381.jpg

l_b86c8fd5d7abbb34d16c4ce382f4da0f.jpg

l_70038d62cbf26f4df51b51c3197ac425.jpg

haha, crazy...
wait until forumites chime in to tell you that it must sound shit...
I remember not too long ago when russ russell posted a pic of some crazy guitarmicing and noone knew it was Ross (actually I might just have spilled it)...everyone was like "you're doing it wrong, do it like Sneap!"
Link please.

Just discovered that Mithras band through that HC thread. They sound pretty cool. Must listen to more. May warrant a purchase.

EDIT: Sorry, not trying to hijack or anything, but holy fuck!:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdwqVpG21eE&feature=player_embedded[/ame]