More Orchestral Melodeath/

TheWinterSnow

Den Mørke Natt
Oct 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
very raw mix, I haven't mixed anything, just a very rough, uneq'd uncompressed mix of a total new direction I have taken. Getting real dark and thick. I am real excited with this one since it has been awhile since I have recorded and it finally has the vibe I have visioned writing but have just attained the skills to write.

I should have the complete version soon, until them enjoy some tunes

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7298560

Orchestra only:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7298862

I'd say come down on the orchestral stuff quite a bit. I dig the jams, though

i noticed the orchestra was too loud. For some reason my bus tracks get deleted and that is where I mix my volumes, I though everything was balanced and mixed down the tracks and found that it was too much. I am redoing it right now.

I really like the song. But I wonder what kind of vocals there will be on there. And if there is not a choir of 40 people, I guess the only thing I could say is that I personally think you might have a bigger, clearer and not louder strings by panning it much more to the center and adding some delay/reverb without getting close to the guitars. But I perhaps would add some intruments/tracks/automation/whatever to accentuate the part where the strings does that "tu-ta.... tu-ta tuta" thing.
I think the song rocks and I kinda hope there will be a huge mega choir. :p

orchestra tracks still need to be turned down a little bit. except for this, general idea is really cool. also i recommend to play some strings on one higher octave to bring some defination to the melody. like...let's say, "face the emptiness" from the latest primal fear album (new religion). here's a youtube sample:

btw, what did you use for guitars?

Last edited by a moderator:
there are high octave string parts in some sections, they could use some turning up. However this song has been the first where I have though about how the dynamics should move out of the way for the vocalist so it will sound empty compared to my other songs because there should be something else there. My synth of choice, as cheap as it was, i found that it has a very washed out string section on its own it sounds fine add it with a band it turns to a washed out mix that kills the punch and thump of the guitars and drums. My guitar tone is too fizzy as well and I can't find a good way to get rid of that while retaining all my highs. getting a guitar tone that backs off the upper highs and brings more bottom highs and upper mids will help them cut through better while giving room for the orchestra.

Again this isn't mixed, it was just a rough draft, chicken scratch and it already sounded amazing to me, I was too excited to wait to finish it before i posted.

Guitars = revlaver + guitarhacks impulses

That title had my name on it so i had to enter :D

It sounds great! This touches my fiber ;)
I'd bring up guitars a bit.

I'm loving it!!

EDIT: This is FUCKING AWESOME.

you know there are sometimes when the guitars are too loud and sometimes when the strings are too loud. When i am doing a final version i will automate or use some envelopes to even it all out. Funny thing is as soon as you mute the orchestra the guitars are too loud. Adding orchestra adds a whole new level of mixing.

The guitars could use some upper mids, and I need to find a good way to remove the airy top fizz without actually killing the highs. The orchestras (or the string sections) is airy to begin with and washes out the entire mix. I will have to experiment and find awy to get rid of this "air" sound and let those upper mids shine that will help cut.

my drum situation doesn't help, with Addictive, its not very punchy which in afull mix everything sound one dimensional. Im on the verge of biting the bullet and buying SD 2.0 but idk just yet.

NO! SD2.0 is everything but punchy. Well, after A LOT of tweaking i've got some decent sound out of it, but I think Slate3.0 is the way to go for some good punchy drums.

Anyways, I get rid of the air in the guitars doing a 12khz lowpass. Surgical way to cut all the fizz without killing the presence.
And i have never had any problems with that "air" in the orchestral sections... Maybe just change samples?

NO! SD2.0 is everything but punchy. Well, after A LOT of tweaking i've got some decent sound out of it, but I think Slate3.0 is the way to go for some good punchy drums.

Anyways, I get rid of the air in the guitars doing a 12khz lowpass. Surgical way to cut all the fizz without killing the presence.
And i have never had any problems with that "air" in the orchestral sections... Maybe just change samples?

haha, same with AD then. Slate scares me becuase its already processed. I like the idea of completely mixing something from raw samples that sound good and were performed good. Either way i have to find something that will work better for drums.