More proof that Hollywood is out of ideas.

Jul 14, 2002
Stratford, CT
Visit site
Michael Bay's production company, Platinum Dunes, has made a three-year, first-look deal with Rogue Pictures to develop horror films, including a a remake of the 1987 vampire movie Near Dark, Variety reported.

Rogue, the genre arm of Universal-based Focus Features, has made a deal with Platinum's Bay (director of the upcoming Transformers) and partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form. The trio will produce horror films budgeted under $25 million and receive as much as 10 percent of the first-dollar gross, one of the richest producer deals in town. Platinum has already completed production on a Rogue remake of The Hitcher, for April release.

The Near Dark remake, about a cowboy wooed into joining a roving band of vampires, will be helmed by Samuel Bayer. Matt Venne is writing the script, and Charles Meeker and Amy Kaufman also produce. Production begins early next year.

The deal will also include a remake of 1987's The Changeling, which Rogue already had on its development roster. Separately, Platinum Dunes is remaking Hitchcock's The Birds for Universal Pictures.

Who remakes lesser known films like Near Dark and The Hitcher? Why do you remake those movies?

Who has the balls to remake the Birds?

What is wrong with the movie studios? Seriously now.

'The Birds'?! Wha'?? :zombie: Heard there's gonna be two 'Sin City' sequels as well; hope they're not like 'The Matrix' cash-grab sequels were. And yeh, to be slightly more relevant: 'The Wicker Man' looks god-awful.

What.the.fuck? The Birds...I guess I can kind of understand that. But it'll suck donkey balls. Didn't they already remake it though? But Near Dark? That movie definitely doesn't need to be remade. Fuck these people...please come up with some original ideas.

As a rule, I don't generally support remakes.

If the studio really believed they could further explore the original, thematically and stylistically, I'd be all for it - but it's fairly clear it is in the search for more and more money.

that made me picture this

studio exec: "Michael Bay, we really feel that you could further explore The Hitcher, both thematically and stylistically, in ways the original was not able at the time"

:lol:

ha ha I mean really now.

If I remember correctly, Near Dark, though a decent film didn't make any sort of money, same with the Hitcher.
And how dare they attempt to find someone who can out perform Rutger Hauer OR Lance Henrikson.

Chris Nolan remakes things!

He did Insomnia, which was alright! (though I never saw the original)

and he plans on doing a film version of "NOT A NUMBER, I'M A FREE MAN"

I can not outright say I hate remakes, because two of my favorite movies are Carpenter's The Thing and Cronenberg's The Fly

but that's different from what's going on here ...

Mickael said:
'The Birds'?! Wha'?? :zombie: Heard there's gonna be two 'Sin City' sequels as well; hope they're not like 'The Matrix' cash-grab sequels were. And yeh, to be slightly more relevant: 'The Wicker Man' looks god-awful.
The ending sucked ass

other than that I like it...everyone else that saw it came out saying it sucked bit I didn't mind it.