More proof that record companies suck...

remington69

Music + Science = Sexy
Feb 7, 2003
NW Chicago 'burbs
www.livejournal.com
I found the following article on chicagotribune.com..

ALBANY, N.Y. -- One of the biggest music companies, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, agreed Monday to pay $10 million and to stop paying radio station employees to feature its artists to settle an investigation by New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer.

The agreement resulted from Spitzer's investigation of suspected "pay for play" practices in the music industry.

Sony spokesman John McKay said the practice was "wrong and improper."

"Despite federal and state laws prohibiting unacknowledged payment by records labels to radio stations for airing of music, such direct and indirect forms of what has been described generically as "payola" for spins has continued to be an unfortunately prevalent aspect of radio promotion," he said. "SONY BMG acknowledges that various employees pursued some radio promotion practices on behalf off the company that were wrong and improper, and apologizes for such conduct. SONY BMG looks forward to defining a new, higher standard in radio promotion."

Spitzer said Sony BMG has also agreed to hire a compliance officer to monitor promotion practices.

He commended the company for its cooperation.

"Our investigation shows that, contrary to listener expectations that songs are selected for air play based on artistic merit and popularity, air time is often determined by undisclosed payoffs to radio stations and their employees," Spitzer said. "This agreement is a model for breaking the pervasive influence of bribes in the industry."

Spitzer had requested documents and information from EMI, Warner Music Group, Vivendi Universal SA's Universal Music Group as well as from Sony BMG, which is a joint venture of Sony Corp. and Bertelsmann AG.

Spitzer said his investigation showed Sony BMG paid for vacation packages and electronics for radio programmers, paid for contest giveaways for listeners, paid some operational expenses of radio stations and hired middlemen known as independent promoters to provide illegal payments to radio stations to get more airplay for its artists.

Spitzer also said e-mails among company executives showed top officials were aware of the payments.

Spitzer said Sony BMG employees sought to conceal some payments by using fictitious contest winners to document the transactions.

In one case, an employee of Sony's Epic label was trying to promote the group Audioslave to a station and asked: "WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET AUDIOSLAVE ON WKSS THIS WEEK?!!? Whatever you can dream up, I can make it happen."

In another case, a promoter unhappy that Celine Dion's "I Drove All Night" was being played overnight on some stations threatened to revoke a trip to a Dion show in Las Vegas unless the play times improved.

Sony BMG Music is an umbrella organization for several prominent record labels, including Arista Records, Columbia Records, Sony Music International and So So Def Records.

Star artists signed with the Arista label alone include Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, OutKast, Pink and Sarah McLachlan.

The $10 million will be distributed to not-for-profit entities and earmarked for music education programs, Spitzer said.

Spitzer wouldn't comment on the status of similar investigations into other major record companies.

Spitzer "appears to have found a whole arsenal of smokin guns," said Jonathan Adelstein, a member of the Federal Communications Commission, a Democrat. "We need to investigate each particular instance that Spitzer has uncovered to see if it is a violation of federal law. This is a potentially massive scandal."

Record companies can't offer financial incentives under a 1960 federal law that made it a crime punishable by a $10,000 fine and up to a year in prison to offer money or other inducements to give records airplay. The practice was called "payola," a contraction of "pay" and "Victrola" record players.

The law was passed in response to the payola scandals of the 1950s and early 1960s that implicated some then-famous disc jockeys.

I wonder if the artists are aware of what is going on and how they feel about it. If I was artist and I didn't know what was going on and then I found out that my albums were being played because someone was being paid to play them, I know I would be really disturbed by that news.

Michele

That's one of the reasons I'm getting out of the business - I'm tired of the bullshit practices of marketing bands who wouldn't know their ass from a hole in the ground even if you gave them a fucking GPS system.

Why do you think that the majors came down so hard on file trading? Here's a fact: the German company that developed MP3 technology showed it to the music industry as a means of delivering their product, they poo-poohed it, and it came to bite them on the ass hard. So, when they saw how successful it became - and how a new means of delivering music without needing labels to get your music out - they killed Napster, KaZaA and the like. (Don't even get me started on this "American Idol" crap.)

Fuck them. Fuck them all. No disrespect meant to Anthrax, but if this is the way they (EDIT - meaning the labels) want to treat the consumer - namely, as the enemy - then start shopping at sites like CDBaby. There are hundreds - indeed, thousands - of indie bands who are dying for attention, and who will probably never rise above bar-band status because they won't suck the corporate dick. Jesus, how many old r&b musicians got fucked out of royalties by these same labels, and now can't afford basic health care? These people may not be the best-educated, but they do know how to fucking count!!!

Sorry for the long rant, but this is a real sore spot with me.

Wu, here's an idea: whatever version of Anthrax goes back into the studio, why not partner with a site like MusicMatch or RealNetworks and offer the new product for anywhere from 50 to 99 cents a song? Even better: put some songs recorded on this reunion tour up? People will pay - I bet my reputation on it. I'll bet people like Thra:rofl:ude would help get the word out, and I'll promise my support right now, in public. If you're interested in my help, PM me... I'm serious.

Hey Rem, I followed the link the your wedding pics. Looked like a nice ceremony, (thanks for the invite, btw :( ), any wayCongrats to you and the Lucky Bastard.

p.s. - The big hurt is a wussy.

MichiMikey said:
Hey Rem, I followed the link the your wedding pics. Looked like a nice ceremony, (thanks for the invite, btw :( ), any wayCongrats to you and the Lucky Bastard.

p.s. - The big hurt is a wussy.

Thank you very much. Your invite, um, got lost in the mail. Or something. ;)

And, no argument here about Thomas. He's a big waste of bench space. And I mean big. His ass gets bigger every season.

I've always thought this is commonplace for radio--every band played is being paid for heavily by their label, I thought this is how it worked. For example, here in Orlando they still play Bush several times a day every single day...Machinehead, Little Things, every day. This album is how many years old and the band is not even together anymore, but still they play it, non-stop. Money has to be involved, right? Why else would they keep playing this garbage?

gotta say BIG shocker...... payola....BIG.

Get Real Kiddies, the artists know this shit is going on. Gwen Steffani is on the radio at least 12 times a day with that "Holla Back Girl" or whatever it's called song. She is a FUCKING TOOL!!!! She knows her shit SUCKS DONKEY ASS, and that $omebody i$ getting paid to play it.

OK, I'm going back into my jam room to write the follow up to my smash hit "I Just Wanna Fuck"

remington69 said:
...no argument here about Thomas. He's a big waste of bench space. And I mean big. His ass gets bigger every season.

Trade you straight up for Higgy?......OK, I'll throw in some Vernors and Traverse City cherries.!!