Most annoying lyrical clichés?

I don't really listen to lyrics much (half the time I can't even understand them), so I don't really have any complaints. However, even though I'm not a HUGE fan of their music, Meshuggah has some of the baddest-ass lyrics of all time (Beyonce-inclusive), which is fucking impressive considering its a second language to them.

I'M A CARNAL, ORGANIC ANAGRAM. HUMAN FLESH INSTEAD OF WRITTEN LETTERS.
I REARRANGE MY PATHETIC TISSUE. I INCISE. I REPLACE. I'M REFORMED.
I ERADICATE THE FAKE PRE-PRESENT ME. ELEVATE ME TO A HIGHER HUMAN FORM.
THE CHARACTERS I AM, MADE INTO A WORD COMPLETE, THEN I'LL BE THE NEW NORM.

A massive +1 to you there Morgan.
The lyrics on pretty much everything they've ever done are spectacular.
Beautiful, robotic, autistic savant poetry for the utterly insane.

don't know if it has been brought up, but one i have noticed is "burning like fire" mostly in 80' stuff

not trying to cause shit, I agree in more modern stuff... but

Slaughter of the Soul - At the Gates "GO!!"

Cowboys from Hell - Pantera "Come on!!"

discuss

I love that shit personally. All the "yeahs" too. And the classic Ozzy "All right now"

The various Van Halen singers take the cake at filling songs with irrelevant nonsense like that... granted, this is understandable because it would have been harder for DLR to sing much of anything else while fantasizing about dropping the pretenses and just being a male stripper, but that doesn't change the fact that the typical Van Halen song will say at most three things and they'll all be dumb.

Jeff

I love it when the singer shouts "Guitar"/"Guitarist's Name" right before a solo ala Def Leppard/The Darkness...

-P

Yeah as far as I'm concerned, the pre solo "guitar" or "name" is cool and so is the "Come on." "Go"
Shouldn't be but I think it's cool in a throwback kinda way hahaha

ESPECIALLY At the Gates and Pantera. Those are the best ones!!

"Fall from grace"

I can't stand that phrase!

As for the Tom Araya stuff, I think him uber-pronouncing the "ee" sound at the ends of words that have that sound would be more annoying to a European than an American. The fact is Tom has an American accent and pronounces words like "Sanity" like "Sanitee", rather than "Saniteh", like many other english speaking countries would.

For me it is far more annoying when people try to hide their accents. You hear it all the time on American rock radio. "I've lost my saniteah!"

Or worst ever:
Fake southern (American south) accents. If you're from fucking California or South Africa or Sweden don't get all fucking Creole on us. You aren't fooling anybody!

(Though I must admit that years of listening to European metal is rubbing off on my vocal delivery sometimes.) :D