Most bang-for-the-buck guitars?

rlcramer

Tone is not in MY fingers
Apr 16, 2008
So, I mentioned to a friend of mine that I was thinking about picking up an EBMM BFR Petrucci 7-string, and he looked at me like I was on crack. He basically said that the EBMM BFR's are outrageously priced, and for that amount of cash, I can get MUCH more guitar, or I can get the same amount of guitar for a much lower price.

My question to him was - "Then what should I get?" He didn't really have a great answer, so I figured I'd pose it here.

Forgetting about the actual "cost" of the guitar (to me bang-for-the-buck doesn't have to mean cheap, it just has to mean "value") which guitar has the most bang-for-the-buck, out of anything that you've actually played?

Bobby

IMO, Schecter, you get a guitar worth twice what you paid for it. The Hellraiser's for example can be bought used for less than the cost of the pickups and trem alone!!

The EBMM BFR guitars however are amazing guitars, a good friend has one (from before the BFR was a line, he got one of Petrucci's personally selected guitars direct from EBMM) and there is nothing he can't do on it. The only limitation with a guitar like that is your own hands.

ESP standard series is amongst the best guitars I've ever played. I also dig Gibsons and PRS but I feel like ESP is a much bigger value

ESP standard series is amongst the best guitars I've ever played. I also dig Gibsons and PRS but I feel like ESP is a much bigger value

if im not wrong PRS only make 6 string guitars not 7.. and now gibson is making a explorer 7string.. like the one for.. matt iuahdsf*(*i dont remember the last name of that guy lol)

Played the Loomis, Petrucci, JD Luthier :lol:, BC Rich 7s etc, but seriously, as I have posted here before, "BANG-FOR-YOUR-BUCK" handsdown is an Ibanez K7. I hate Korn, but this guitar is simply stunning! It gets a 9.5/10. The .5 missing is for the paf pro, not a bad pup, but not enough balls for death metal. But having said that, it has by far the best note definition (espescially A tuned stuff) that I have ever heard. Petruccis here go for around $4000! I got my K7 here, in mickey mouse condition for $960. They were $3500 here new. Ive owned a PRS custom 24, and until the k7, it was my favourite guitar. Go hunt one down and give em a try, you will not be disappointed.

EDIT: PRS do make 7s, may be a special order though.

if im not wrong PRS only make 6 string guitars not 7.. and now gibson is making a explorer 7string.. like the one for.. matt iuahdsf*(*i dont remember the last name of that guy lol)

Yeah you have to contact PRS Custom Shop for a 7-string and it will cost you upwards of $7k. :Smug: Really not worth it, IMO.

I had no idea Gibson was making a 7-string Explorer... I hope they make it longer scale than 24.75", I am beginning to hate that scale because you can't really go further than C standard tuning. Even then with the regular TOM bridges you are all the way back with no more room on the saddles.

I would also say Schecter is one of the best bang-for-the-buck brands, that or the ESP Standard Series if you can swing it. The JPMM is OK but for the money you can score a lot more with another manufacturer.

Yeah - a custom PRS is way out of the question!! The EBMM BFR 7 was about $2300 at MF with their most recent promotion. I didn't think it was that bad, but a few people I know recommended Schecter and Carvin 7-strings. I may pull the trigger on the Petrucci, but maybe I'll go to GC tomorrow first to check out the Schecters in person (I've owned many Carvins so I'm familiar with them already).

I should also try to check out the ESP Standards - to be honest, I've never played one, but the pics that I've seen online have been pretty insane.

Bobby

I have to agree with Schecters being the best 'bang for your buck' guitars I've played. I own an ESP standard series guitar as well, and it is probably a little better than my Schecters, but my Schecters were also SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.

I'll also say schecter & esp are great values. I'm becoming quite fond of some Agile guitars as well, but I have yet to own one.

EBMM JPs are great guitars, but unfortunately it's true they are overpriced and not the best bang for buck. Even in the US, where they are cheaper than what they cost here in Aus, you'd easily be able to find a luthier that can make you a custom guitar for cheaper than an EBMM JP.
In terms of brand new, especially 7 strings, it's hard to go past Schecter. ESP is not quite as good value IMO, even if they do rule quality and playability wise.
Ibanez have been making shit house guitars for years (save the RG 1527, good but overpriced).
They did however used to make absolutely pwnage 7 strings back in the day.
The old Universe models from the early 90s are absolutely superb instruments.
From a later period, late 90s/very early 00s, the RG 7421/7621/7420/7620 are all fine, Japanese made quality instruments, and it's still very possible to find many of them in great condition, and with a pickup swap they become absolutely monstrous instruments no matter how plain they appear on the surface.
The current RG 7321 doesn't hold a candle to the RG 74xx/76xx guitars, avoid that one for sure. The best RG 7321s are not as good as even the worst RG 74xx/76xx guitars IMO.

At the GC I work at, we had two EBMM JP guitars and an Axis. STELLAR guitars. Like, sure, Schecter may offer a guitar with the same specs across the board for $800 that EBMM is offering for $2000, but if the EBMM plays like a $2000 guitar and the Schecter doesn't, it's not really a $2000 guitar at an $800 price tag. I'd rather have the better-feeling unit.

With that said, I LOVE some Schecter. There's gold across the map, all manufacturers. You just gotta pick it up and figure out what's what. If I'm considering a really nice $1200 G&L Tele but I can't tell it apart from a $150 Squier, I'm probably gonna buy the Squier and some studio monitors instead.

^what he said

I've got a 6 here and it pisses all over every guitar i've played with.
Both playability and quality are insane.