Should I pick up the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?

Yeah.

The drivers for the LS56 are better than those for the 26io form what I understand. This is at least partially due to a different chip being used in the unit. I remember this being a part of the whole marketing campain of the LS56.

Also, I thought I'd chime in that Focusrite support has been EXCELLENT for me. I emailed them a lot about my LS56. Not even with issues most of the time, just questions, and only one time did they not respond the next day.

So far I love my LS56. And it's not b/c of the preamp emulations. At first I was slightly disappointed, because this interface doesnt sound better (as far as I can tell) than my Alesis io26, and is more than twice the cost. BUT, I've come to realize it's WAY more stable, and thus, worth the price I paid. It also has some great features that my Alesis lacked (HPF, 48V on each channel individually, ADAT Out. The Alesis DOES have inserts on each channel though, but I don't use outbeard gear anyhow). Plus, it does sound great. My disappointment is more an attest to the sound quality of Alesis, than to anything bad about Focusrite. The fact is you can get professional results with mid-grade equipment. Technology has come a LONG WAY in recent times, so I wouldn't worry too much about converters.

I haven't gotten to record any bands yet with the LS56, but it DOES have pads on channel 3 and 4, which has come in handy for DI. I haven't needed to use the pad on drums, but I haven't done a close mic on the snare yet.

Mackie Onyx 400F, but for you, I really wouldn't recommend the Firestudio Tube, seems like the sub-par converters and decent enough preamps of the regular Firestudio with the added gimmick of tubes in 2 of the preamps (which are almost certainly of a starved plate design - I don't exactly know what this means tbh, but I do know the effect is that there's almost zero perceptible tube coloration, at least of the desirable variety!). The Profire 2626 or Fireface 400 (if you've got the budget for it) seem like better bets, but also, James/TheShred and Damian/Melodeath on here don't seem to be having any problems running their Liquid Saffire 56's on PC's, so maybe Focusrite has improved the driver support!

Hmm, really? what about the firestudio then? - the non-tube one...i've heard some really good things about presonus! yeah the hassle with my 26 i/o has been enough to put me off focusrite for a while,then again im intrigued about the liquid saffire 56..dont you need to use pro-tools with the profire? i'll scope out the fireface man thanks for the tips

Yeah, no doubt dude - but no, you can use the Profire with anything, it's just cool cuz that includes Pro Tools M-Powered

epic cheese, well its $700 dollars which is a little bit out of my price range but i could maybe just manage it...means ill have to wait on the slate drums for a while :-(..if not is the firestudio non-tube any good? Btw see the transformer unit thats on the adapter with the profire...if i just use a standard twopin u.s to 3 pin u.k adapter will it run alright back home? bahaha i deteste different voltage levels