Most drastic change by a Metal band

Profanity

The Post Master
Jul 3, 2003
Manchester, England, UK
Which Metal band would you say made the most drastic change in their career?

I'd say Therion.

They went from a box standard Death Metal band to an experimental Symphonic Metal band who have written lots of relaxing music as well as Metal which you never thought was possible which defied the rules of Metal.

Yeah, Therion did drastically change. Lepaka Kliffoth already sounded really symphonic at times, and by Secret Of The Runes they were totally changed. Sentenced also really drastically changed, from an old school death metal band to a straightforward metal, almost hard rock band. Entombed also changed a lot, but the change wasn't as drastic as it was with Therion and Sentenced. Anathema changed a lot as well, from a doomdeath band with growled vocals to an almost pop/goth band (just listen to anything from Judgement on).

Oh well...there is quite a huge number of bands which have sworn off their original style over all the years, to name only a few:

• In The Woods
  • Ulver
  • At The Gates
  • Dodheimsgard
  • The Kovenant/Covenant
  • Arcturus
  • Amorphis

Metallica. They changed drastically like 3 times, and got worse with each.

Celtic Frost too, during that horrible album of theirs, but they changed back and then just disbanded.

I'd also say Sentenced but their change wasn't drastic, it happened over a string of albums, each one changing a bit.

Arcturus... lol

Yeah fucking right. They barely changed at all.

Ulver - Nattens Madrigal -> Themes from William Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell
Anathema - The Silent Enigma -> Eternity
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day -> Discouraged Ones
Beyond Dawn - Pity Love -> Revelry
Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme -> Department of Apocalyptic Affairs

Carcass(I dont think anyone should have not expected it)
Metallica(WTF)
Sepultura(look above)
Pestilence
In Flames

andrew_plamondon said:
Well, it's still metal though. Ulver is the one who changed the most, in the bands I know of.
Well it's hardly metal; about as metal as Rammstein or KMFDM are. Yeah, other bands (like Therion and Sentenced) changed more, even though they also are still playing metal of some sort.

Life Sucks said:
Well it's hardly metal; about as metal as Rammstein or KMFDM are. Yeah, other bands (like Therion and Sentenced) changed more, even though they also are still playing metal of some sort.
KMFDM have had industrial metal songs, such as Spit Sperm, Brute, and Flesh.

Rammstein are industrial metal, they are a metal band.

I'd say Mayhem and Ulver, both from the greatest of music and black metal to gay techno. I haven't heard almost any new Ulver but I don't let that affect my prejudices.