Most overated band / album?

TheFourthHorseman said:
Kirk isn't the most accurate guy live from what I've heard though...then again people say he's been getting better again. Same with Lars, without the 'getting better' part.
To hell with that bassist with a potato in his mouth too.

And I'm still looking forward to the gig in May. Sad.

Well don;t be sad friend. Turn that frown upside down. Metallica gigs are fucking bad ass. I had nosebleed seats on march 5th and still had a great time. (Or was that from the heavy consumption of long island ice tea I had in the parking lot?) Don't expect many metalheads their though. Alot of trendy fuckers there. (Driving in the parking lot blasting linkin park and what not). Which was shocking. Since at summer sanitarium the crowd consisted of mostly 30 something classic rock esque fans. But anyhow I got to see them do their very first live performance of dyer's eve. That was were the ticket alone.

TheFourthHorseman said:
People are so deluded. What's you liking the album or not got to do with it being overrated?

It should be obvious.

If you think an album is overrated, it's because you think it's not as good as the majority does.

If you think an album is underrated, it's because you think it's better than the majority does.

Whether you think an album is over or underrated depends entirely on your opinion of the album. Or, how much you like the album.

I think people should at least look at it more broadly than just by how much they like the band/album.
Your logic doesn't work, because some of these people think that "the Majority" (whoever they may be) thinks that Porcupine Tree and Agalloch are good. The Majority (say, of metal/pop (or whoever it is that listen to PT the most) fans) doesn't know who the fuck they are, for starters.

Ben_Bids_You_Farewell said:
I would have to put Radiohead. [...]
Other worthy mentions:
Mayhem, In Flames, The Deftones,Coldplay,Audioslave and Smashing Pumpkins.
This list suits me fine. :) I have no idea why Radiohead is supposed to be a good band. I have "White Pony" from The Deftones but it bores me to death. Hmm, and the Pumpkins suck. Audioslave? Does anyone rate them high?

The Beatles and Porcupine Tree are of course highly underrated. Especially The Beatles. ;)

Overrated IMHO: Nirvana, The Vines, The Strokes, The White Stripes & and maybe all "The"-Bands. Like The Rolling Stones. Never liked them. ;)

TheFourthHorseman said:
I think people should at least look at it more broadly than just by how much they like the band/album.
Your logic doesn't work, because some of these people think that "the Majority" (whoever they may be) thinks that Porcupine Tree and Agalloch are good. The Majority (say, of metal/pop (or whoever it is that listen to PT the most) fans) doesn't know who the fuck they are, for starters.

Defining the majority is another topic altogether.

Staying on topic: whether you are saying a band is overrated by the "majority", or overrated by Rolling Stone magazine, or overrated by your friend Tom... in all situations you have to compare someone else's rating (opinion) with your own. There is no way to make a judgment on how much something is overrated without taking into account your own opinion (whether or not you like the band/album).

You urge that we should look "more broadly than just by how much [we] like the band/album". Would an answer like "7 of my friends think this album is overrated" or "the country of Croatia thinks this album is overrated" make you more happy? The question this post asked was one which inherently addresses your own singular opinion about a work of art. An opinion, which at heart, boils down to either "I like it" or "I don't like it"...

ok, here we go. I think Nirvana are hugely overrated. Every one says that Kurt was very inspirational. Yeah, inspirational my ass. Why would you need some one that plays maybe 3 chords a song when you have Jerry Cantrel tearin shit up for Alice In Chains. I wouldn't say that the Beatles or Rolling Stones are overrated. People just say that because they don't like them, but music taste change over time and many of us young folk don't really like that sound. I don't like the Stones a whole lot, same with the Beatles, but they do have some rocking songs.

I think it's all about interpretation. A band being overrated really depends on the persons knowledge about the whole music scene and what performers are out there, which is hard because if you don't like one band, then you're not going to listen or pay attention to them, so how do you know if they are overrated with out listening to them?

Kurt cobain got in the top 20 of the 100 best guitarists of all time in Rolling Stone.... that is so wrong.

ShroudOfDusk... how can you say Extol are overrated? I'll admit, their new album was a bit of an aquired taste, but have you heard Undecieved or Burial?!?!?!

Overrated: Danzig.

Erich w/ an h said:
the Beatles.

slag me off all you want for it, dont matter. I acknowledge and respect the impact they had on not only rock and roll but pop culture, however i dont think they were, are, or will be as great as theyre made out to be musicaly.
I agree!!!! all those fags that are like "the beatles are so brilliant, nothing can compare to them!" They really aren't that good at all, infact i'm going to stand up and say I hate them, they are over played and over rated, they are not very good musicians and people need to unserstand this.

ElectricWiz said:
Yow, can't agree with you here. I love that album.

I'm gonna go the opposite route here though....and since there has been plenty of "fighting" about this already....maybe ya'll could just accept that I believe this instead of assuming that I"m retarded or something......BUT.....I think that Metallica's St. Anger is wildly underrated. I'm not into Load and all that, and was a huge fan of the band in the early years.....but I just don't get why everybody hates St. Anger so much. I think that the drum sound (the most common complaint) is worse on ....And Justice For All....and I mean that. Sounds like a shoebox. Anyway, that's what I think.
Shoot yourself now

ElectricWiz said:
Yow, can't agree with you here. I love that album.

I'm gonna go the opposite route here though....and since there has been plenty of "fighting" about this already....maybe ya'll could just accept that I believe this instead of assuming that I"m retarded or something......BUT.....I think that Metallica's St. Anger is wildly underrated. I'm not into Load and all that, and was a huge fan of the band in the early years.....but I just don't get why everybody hates St. Anger so much. I think that the drum sound (the most common complaint) is worse on ....And Justice For All....and I mean that. Sounds like a shoebox. Anyway, that's what I think.

I also like st anger. But i suggest you don't mention it again. Unless you want to be widely hated on UM like myself. St Anger should be changed to St Happy though. It's one of the few albums I have that make me wanna dance. Lol. If an album can put me in a good mood just by turning it on then that alone makes it good. :) Just don't ever mention you enjoy the album again.

Remember voicing an opinion on UM= Bad
Voicing popular opinion on UM even if its not yours= Good.

That's all for today's lesson.

MAN, THIS THREAD DOES NOTHING GOOD. Seriously. This is a fucking hate thread.

A music-program here in norway does something we all should thing about. Instead of rating albums, they recommand albums.

how are the beatles underrated? have they not gotten enough recognition? coldplay is not overrated, they are amazing...same with the mars volta. just my opinion....right now, the band that is getting the most hype and sucks the most is damageplan. they are a shitty rip-off of pantera.

deliverance said:
based on bands you fellas mentioned, here's my take:

NOT overrated: the beatles, mars volta, porcupine tree

overrated: iced earth (although i like them...not as much as i used to however)

AND for the record, st.anger has horrible horrible production, and the drums sound like fucking garbage. AJFA has some of metallica's best drumming, are we listening to the same music electricwiz?
Well, see...it's a fine line. I agree whole heartidly that the drums on AJFA are AMAZING; just the playing though. The sound is utter crap. Seriously, the drum/guitar sound on Master was so much better. Still, whenever I put in AJFA (an album I love by the way), I listen to the drum sound and think, "What were they thinking?" It's just empty is all, in the auditory sense. Now, I've held that opinion for along time, independently, but for what it's worth....here's James Hetfield's take on it - "....for whatever reason, we liked it at the time. But when I listen to that album now, the drum sound, I don't know what we were thinking..."

Now, as to St. Anger....yeah, the production is "weird", if not non existent. Still, I like it. It reminds me of some of the stuff Metallica was inspired by in the early days - Misfits and all that. I can hang with that kind of (non) production, though I understand why others don't like it. One might say that the production on Venom's Welcome to Hell, or Suicidal Tendencies first album was hideous (and one would be right), but I love those albums. People, or so I think, just expect a certain thing from Metallica. For my money, the best proof around that they are still active, that they still have ideas, is that they were brave enough to produce the album in such a weird way. Believe me, they knew what they were doing. Meaning, it sounds like that on purpose.

A LOT of people hate it, and I think that is valid. I like it, a lot. I like the kind of "Motorheady" guitar sound.......I just do. I think the songs are good too.

And finally, I agree that Iced Earth is way overrated. Way way way.....and I do own a couple of their albums.

AllWithinMyMonster said:
I also like st anger. But i suggest you don't mention it again. Unless you want to be widely hated on UM like myself. St Anger should be changed to St Happy though. It's one of the few albums I have that make me wanna dance. Lol. If an album can put me in a good mood just by turning it on then that alone makes it good. :) Just don't ever mention you enjoy the album again.

Remember voicing an opinion on UM= Bad
Voicing popular opinion on UM even if its not yours= Good.

That's all for today's lesson.
Ha. This is a good response. Yeah, I know I should keep my mouth shut, or rather, knew. Still, there is this utterly nice world I live in....outside of this board, in which I have many friends who neither jump on or off bandwagons at the drop of a hat. Those people all have fairly objective opinions about St. Anger....and that's good. Some like it, some don't....but none of them go straight to the polar THIS IS HOW IT IS opinion. You know, St. Anger is either the most amazing thing they've ever heard, or the biggest travesty in the history of man. Then again, most of my friends don't have things like "study hall" in the normal course of their lives anymore. So, I can take the abuse of the board. Believe me, I know it is an unreal world. Still, there is the hope from time to time that somebody will say something intelligent. For what it's worth, statistically speaking, the people who I know that like St. Anger, have liked Metallica since 83 or whatever (being old enough to have bought the early stuff when it came out), and the people I know who don't like it....generally speaking....found Metallica around the Black Album or so. What that means, I'm not sure......Each group is aware of Metallica's history.....but there is some interesting psychological factor in there to be sure. Ahem.

TheFourthHorseman said:
People are so deluded. What's you liking the album or not got to do with it being overrated?
I love it because I think it's a work of extreme talent - guess I should have been more specific. I don't have to dislike it for it to be overrated, but Mars Volta is one band that I would have a hard time agreeing with anyone on as being somehow less than what they are, which really fantastic, progressive, and completely enjoyable to listen too. I think they are amazing.