Motherboard trouble

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
OK, so I have this SHIT motherboard (Abit K7A something-or-the-other), or rather, it has a total SHIT chipset by VIA (KT133) which absolutely breaks the sound on my new, flashy sound card. There are numerous documented incompatibilities with this buggy piece of shit chipset and the card I'm trying to use, so after applying shitloads of patches and optimizing Windows to all hell I've come to the conclusion that I must buy a new motherboard.

I'm not very updated on all this new-fangled hardware so my question is: what motherboards are there that 1) takes an AMD Duron 800 and SDRAM (I'm NOT going to buy new RAM) and 2) doesn't have a crap VIA chipset? Oh, and an ISA slot or two would be nice too. Recommendations? If anyone wants to sell me a suitable board then I'm all ears.

"HAHAH URE COMPUTAR IS OLD U NEED TO GET A NEW ONE" comments not needed.

I know how you feel Erik...

right now i'm on a shat Dell 4300 series (1.6ghz P4 "williamette")
Mine also has PC-133 SDRAM, FUCKERS!
I don't know bout Duron board's since Gigabyte,MSI, and Abit usually tend just to have Athlon XPs,Ms and 64's right now...
Here's a site that should help you out a little i hope.

Anantech:Entry level PC's That's a link to Anandtech's price guide for Entry level pc's Look below.

Hardware Component Price
CPU & Cooling AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (cooling included) $56
Motherboard ASUS A7N8X-X (nForce2 400) $68
Memory 1 X 256MB Crucial PC3200 $49
Video Card 64MB ATI Radeon 9200SE $40
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 17" Flat-Tube (model 763MB) $150
Computer Case CaseEdge TS1 Mid Tower plus 300W PSU $63
Sound Card Onboard sound $0
Speakers Creative Labs SBS270 2.0 speakers $20
Networking Onboard 10/100 Ethernet $0
Hard Drive Western Digital 800JB (80GB) $69
CD-RW Sony 52x32x52 CD-RW $31
Bottom Line - $546

I'm getting a whole new system in late August, so i can beat the shit out of this one with my double headed axe. but if you still need to search for a Duron Board try gigabyte,MSI,and Abit... They might have some, though, i have'nt seen any with the KT-133 much...Hope i helped you a little bit.

Thanks a lot for the reply... Actually, the problem I had was helped somewhat with a BIOS upgrade, so the situation is tolerable for now, which is a good thing because almost every motherboard that fits my CPU and RAM has a VIA chip on it. Some have AMD 761 northbridges, but then VIA 686B southbridges. Gah. Sometimes I feel like selling all this cheap Taiwan crap and buying a Macintosh.

Erik said:
Thanks a lot for the reply... Actually, the problem I had was helped somewhat with a BIOS upgrade, so the situation is tolerable for now, which is a good thing because almost every motherboard that fits my CPU and RAM has a VIA chip on it. Some have AMD 761 northbridges, but then VIA 686B southbridges. Gah. Sometimes I feel like selling all this cheap Taiwan crap and buying a Macintosh.

lol, yea if you got a couple thousand bux get a Mac G5...
Dual 2.2ghz
Radeon 9800XT
8 gig's of ram
400gb space..MMMMMMMMMM.. lol..but it's like 5,000$ with full option's.
Most chips and computer shit's made in Japan china and Taiwan, gotta face it man.....Only thing made here is probably graphic's car'ds.. oh and don't forget shoe's haha... cya later.

I always go to sites like www.ibuypower.com or www.abcpc.com and check out what motherboards they are offering with there top of the line stuff. That has always worked wondefully for me.

I am thinking of ordering a computer from www.ibuypower.com because they are wonderfully priced and wonderfully powerfull, and i wouldnt mind supporting a site that offers alienware level computers for a reasonable price.

I stay up to date with video cards but thats about it.