Motorhead - Overkill tempo

Uncle Junior

Jun 24, 2009
Slovenia
Hi, I wanted to make Motorhead-s Overkill Cover, but when I imported the song into cubase i noticed that its not consistent in rhytm so i cant really tell at which tempo to track it. I tried beat calculator (Project---->Beat Calculator) but it doesnt help cuz the rhytm of the song floats somehow.

So now i wonder how to aproach the cover makin', and how to program the drums so it wont sound shit and wrong.

Thanks for replys!

I can't say about that specific song, but many songs have small (sometimes big) tempo variations to give emphasis to certain parts (e.g. Make the chorus 3/4 bpm faster) or add a sense of dynamics and "live" feel, some are simply recorded without a click track, with the drummer dictating the tempo at his own instinct.

In those cases, sometimes you can round it up to an average tempo and do it like that, or try to imitate the feel of the tempo changes, the problem is you would have to do it yourself unless someone else has done it in midi or guitar pro.

Use a program to detect tempo the manual way, by hitting a key at the tempo of the song several times and it'll give you an average. I can give you a link when I'm on my Pc

Depending on your DAW you may have a way to put markers or equivalent where you want, manually along the .wav of the song, so basically you could place every 4 bars, and make a tempo grid out of it. Otherwise, just figure out an average tempo and stick to it.