Cubase 5 slowed down a song..

Aug 16, 2008
London, UK
fb.com
Hey guys,

This might be a really noobish question, but the thing is, so this band sent me the files to mix a song, they're at 48khz, I imported into cubase 5 (tempo of the song is 198 but I just left the tempo of the session at 120). Cubase didn't ask me anything, just imported the files straight away, only when I'm halfway through I notice that the song is slower... What could've cause this? Could it be the conversion from 48khz to 44khz?? As I have always imported songs with another tempo on the session and it didn't stretch anything... Does anyone know how can I remedy this without destroying everything I've done so far :ill:

Cheers dudes

Im not at the studio atm so I cant really try stuff out. But it doesnt make any sense... if I change the session to 48khz wont it be the same? Since I think it probably converted to 44khz, as I know Reaper does automatically for example

It's either a problem with the sample rate or the settings of the playback engine (sped-up or slowed-down playback). If you haven't messed with the latter, it's very very likely your sample rate issue. I've experienced the same problem before.

If you've set your session to 44.1 kHz then that's what Cubase expects to get at the import. So either set your session to 48 kHz or convert the files to 44.1 kHz BEFORE importing.

I just opened up here at home in Reaper and it does convert automatically without asking but its fine, here's a snippet of raw drums: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/617922/untitled.mp3

This is the same section when I bounced at the studio: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/617922/Test%201.mp3

What's the best way to convert the sample rate then? But either way, is there something wrong with letting the DAW convert by itself?

Also, I'm mixing through a drawmer 1969 on the master bus, so the signal is going out and then coming back, but I've done that before and never had any problems so it *shouldnt* be that right? oO

I had the EXACT same thing. problem is the files need to be converted. you have to check your options. I only have the german version so I don't know what it's called but go to programme settings, editing options (or something like that), audio... there is a dropdown menue for import-settings. activate "convert if neccessary" (or something like that... again). reimport your tracks. worked like a charm.

restarted it in english:

file - preferences - editing - audio - on importing audio settings - use settings - convert and copy to project if needed

I will let my old message up for the lulz.

I had the EXACT same thing. problem is the files need to be converted. you have to check your options. I only have the german version so I don't know what it's called but go to programme settings, editing options (or something like that), audio... there is a dropdown menue for import-settings. activate "convert if neccessary" (or something like that... again). reimport your tracks. worked like a charm.

restarted it in english:

file - preferences - editing - audio - on importing audio settings - use settings - convert and copy to project if needed.

Exactly. But I've set it to pop up the dialogue every time an import happens.

Because you have to EXPLICITLY turn on the musical mode in the sample editor of each track/region, independently from your preference setting.

And that's the reason why I forgot about it: You have to really go out of your way to turn it on, compared to other DAWs, especially PT.

You can toggle it easily from the project window on the left hand track settings. It's a musical note or a clock for timeline. My tracks default to musical mode.

restarted it in english:

file - preferences - editing - audio - on importing audio settings - use settings - convert and copy to project if needed

I will let my old message up for the lulz.

So you're sayign that the problem was that it did NOT convert? Thanks a lot for the trouble dude! :)

You can toggle it easily from the project window on the left hand track settings. It's a musical note or a clock for timeline. My tracks default to musical mode.

The default corresponds to your preference setting. But you still have to enable the musical mode via the sample editor or no stretching will happen.

That's why it's quite unlikely that this is the OP's problem.

So you're sayign that the problem was that it did NOT convert? Thanks a lot for the trouble dude! :)

If you didn't get an import dialogue, it means you had fixed settings. And if the automatic conversion is not checked in the preferences, Cubase imports the tracks sans conversion.

Yeah, I know, but not being converted could be the culprit here? And Musical mode should not be an issue as I just opened an empty project and did nothing but import the files then get onto mixing so I did nothing of that sort, I know where to activate it etc so that shouldnt be it

Yeah, I know, but not being converted could be the culprit here?

Very very much so. Because that's what you get when sample rates don't match up: stretching or squeezing. If no conversion or adjustment takes place, it will affect time and therefore also pitch.

heh...this happened once to me before!

cubase doesn't recognize/adjust to the bitrate of the files...it just plays the fuckers, so you need to make sure that all the tracks are at the same bitrate that the cubase project is set to, or you get molasses mode on playback! :Spin: