Mouth of the Architect, Intronaut, Behold… The Arctopus, Adai. 3 Sept 2008. Denver

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Mouth of the Architect, Intronaut, Behold… The Arctopus, Adai
3 September 2008, Marquis Theater, Denver, CO
By Ryan Starr

These sorts of tours don’t come along very often. I’m not entirely sure why, perhaps it’s the lack of demand for good metal, or maybe the post metal genre just hasn’t caught on yet. I’m not sure I’ll ever figure out why, but those of us that were at the show witnessed an impressive, and more importantly, passionate performance.

Starting the show was a local band I had never heard before, and that honestly upset me a bit. I like to keep up on all the great local bands, and Adai just slipped below my RADAR. Adai give us a huge post metal sound in a tiny package. Only two members in this band, but with the proper equipment and their open and atmospheric playing style, they more than compensate for the lack of musicians. I really want to stress their playing style, because it’s a bit different, specifically in the drums. As I watched the set, I noticed there was no ride and very little hi hat being used. Crash and china was used 90% of the time. This technique gives you a very distinctive sound that feels as vast as the Pacific. It sets the perfect stage for the far-reaching guitar work. Adai were the perfect band to open the show, and they set the mood perfectly.

Next was a band that I raved about after my MDF experience. Behold… The Arctopus was quite simply mind-blowing. The technical skill and unrestrained talent simply boggled my mind at MDF. But seeing them up close in a small bar was even more impressive. Behold… The Arctopus not only put on a musically sound performance, but their energetic live performance really entranced the crowd. I’m not sure what else I can say about them that I haven’t said before. Behold… The Arctopus simple kick ass in every way imaginable.

Intronaut was billed as the headliner, but on this night they played third, and it was probably for the better. Intronaut were the only touring band I hadn’t seen before, but I have been a long time fan and I was excited to see them. Don’t get me wrong here, Intronaut put on an impressive show. Their songs were already impressive on CD, but they sound nearly overwhelming through a PA. Intronuat really take advantage of the power of their music in a live setting. The power in the low end shakes the floor and moves the air across the room letting you feel the music well beyond your heart and soul.

Headlining was Mouth of the Architect, my personal favorite of the post metal genre. Like I said before, Intronaut was billed as the headliner, but whoever made the decision to swap the two bands definitely made the right choice. MotA simply blew the crowd, and even the staff, away that night. Passion is the name of the game and that is exactly what they delivered. Now, a lot of bands, and a lot of fans throw the word passion around a lot, and a lot of times it’s used to describe one dimensional music. That simply isn’t the case for MotA. The music is layered and complex, just like our own personalities. No music can truly be passionate unless it matches the raw emotion of our human being. How can we feel in our heart something that doesn’t match our complexity? Mouth of the Architect clearly understand this, and write and perform with the same sentiment.

People need to start paying attention to this growing genre. Quality music and amazing live shows are being missed, and it’s time for that to change. The next time any of these bands come to bars or theaters near you, I encourage you to check it out. There is absolutely no way you can see these bands and be disappointed.

Official Adai Webpage
Official Adai Myspace
Official Behold… The Arctopus Myspace
Official Intronaut Webpage
Official Intronaut Myspace
Official Mouth of the Architect Myspace