Mouth of the Architect – Quietly

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Mouth of the Architect – Quietly
Translation Lost – 22 July 2008
By Ryan Starr

51duMd3rycL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I first discovered Mouth of the Architect when they toured with Mastodon. I had never heard anything by them before. When they first walked on stage I was perplexed by the gear. Fender Telecasters? I was certain it was going to be bad, but I was wrong. Not only were they amazing, but they helped shape my outlook on the future of metal. So I immediately picked up The Ties That Blind, at which point I became a huge fan. Recently I’ve been given the opportunity to write and work with MotA. This review is only the second of three features you will see on Ultimate Metal. The First was a show review for their latest tour. The third will be an interview, which I am compiling info for.

So let’s get to their third full length album. Quietly features a lot of the same characteristics found on their previous work. The mood isn’t quite evil, but isn’t quite happy either. These melancholic soundscapes are topped by vocals that lie somewhere between rage and distraught. This kind of atmosphere has an obvious message, but what makes this album so great is that you can interpret this message in hundreds of ways. Whether the state of our society troubles you, or you’re going through a depressing personal time, this is something that you can relate to.

Now let’s get to some new changes. While the atmosphere is the same as previous efforts, there are some small additions and tweaks to their sound. The most obvious change is the addition of clean singing, including a female vocalist in the song ‘Generations of Ghosts’. I was briefly put off by this, fearing a new emo direction. But that isn’t the case. After a few listens, I decided that it fits rather well. The approach isn’t whining, or operatic like many bands feature, but soft spoken. And that approach really works with MotA’s new guitar tone. For Quietly, they toned down the crunch a bit to broaden their tonal capabilities. I think it was a smart choice. It doesn’t sound any less metal, but just more refined.

Quietly shows the next step in the bands evolution, and really, the genre’s evolution. Mouth of the Architect, along with others in the post metal genre, are pushing metal to new heights. So, if you don’t want to be left behind, I really suggest you pick this up. It’s worth the money, and this is truly the future of metal.

Official Mouth of the Architect Myspace
Official Translation Lost Website
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...-behold-arctopus-adai-3-sept-2008-denver.html

They're a hell of a band, and this is a great album. While most post metal bands seem stuck in some sort of an evolutionary stumble, these guys are carrying on strong.