Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Mouth Of The Architect – Time & Withering
Translation Loss Records – TL5 – 2004
By Nathan Pearce

MOTA.jpg

It seems like every year or two a new label with unbelievable bands comes along. Translation Loss is THAT label in 2004. Even though I have limited experience with Translation Loss’ roster, I feel that I can safely say that Mouth Of The Architect is quite possibly the most amazing band the label has to offer. Don’t get me wrong, though, Translation Loss has many more excellent bands for listeners to choose from. However, Mouth Of The Architect is so good they would probably be one of the most amazing bands any label has on their roster.

So, now that I’m done kissing Translation Loss’ ass, I’ll move on to the obligatory comparison-to-other-bands segment of the review. MOTA is definitely a band of their own devices, but if somebody held a rusty knife to my throat I’d probably be forced to compare them to Neurosis and Isis combined with Mogwai, Mono, Godspeed You Black Emperor, or many other bands of that ilk. Oh . . . did I mention MOTA is made up of some former members of the sadly defunct Rune? The truth is that MOTA is a band that is concerned as much with song writing as they are with moving and emotional dynamics. Black metal rasps, death metal roars, and hardcore screams all combine to make a pretty impressive three-pronged vocal attack, but the area this band really shines is their instrumentation within the song’s overall structure. With a running time of nearly 40 minutes and only 4 songs to show for it, Time & Withering maximizes each song’s emotional potential. The band never seems to go off into ambient neverland either. Songs move forward with a purpose.

Now that Neurosis and Isis have pretty much established themselves as the heavy hitters of whatever genre of metal they seem to be playing, it is time for bands to use those influences and expand in their own unique ways. UNIQUE being the all-important word there. I’ve already heard several third-tier bands trying to use the blueprint Neurosis left for them, only to have no credible originality at all. Not so with MOTA. Time & Withering stands as one of 2004 best releases, and Mouth Of The Architect stands as one of the 21st century’s most promising and original bands.

9/10

Translation Loss’ Official Website