circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Mouth of the Architect/Kenoma – Split
Translation Loss – TL13-2 – May 16th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

c_motakenoma.jpg

Rising out of the ashes of Rune, Mouth of the Architect and Kenoma have teamed up to produce Split for Translation Loss. While this most assuredly isn’t the first release for the former – having released the colossal Time & Withering in 2004 – it does indeed mark the debut of the latter. In all honesty, though, I was kind of nervous when I saw that MotA collaborated with a band I’d never heard before because if one half of a split is terrible, then the whole thing floats about as well as a stone, which is to say not at all. Thankfully, Kenoma not only hold their own, they manage to upstage their friends.

Mouth of the Architect
You’re probably cognizant of the fact that both groups on Split have been likened to Pelican, Isis, et al in the past, and the comparison still stands. Presenting “Sleepwalk Powder,” which clocks in at 17 minutes, Mouth of the Architect have retained the properties that appeared on Time & Withering. That is, the music unfolds at a comfortable pace – livened by plenty of distortion, drone, and drum patterns – draped in sentimental attire without being overly melodramatic. The keyboards will tug at your heartstrings just like the despondent instrumental portions will, perhaps, just maybe, foster an urge to abandon all you have in order to drift thoughtlessly on a large body of water with the wind gently caressing your face. In essence, MotA are powerful spellbinders. Still, despite the undeniable quality of “Sleepwalk Powder,” it’s no “The Worm,” nor does it seem quite as spectacular once one finishes “The Nature of Empire” and “1913.”

7.5/10

Kenoma
“The Nature of Empire,” just like “1913,” commences slowly, as if in a head-to-head race with a sloth. Patience is key here, and after absorbing all of Kenoma’s material, it became apparent that Split marks not just a friendship between two bands, but a similar sound that runs deeper than the surface. Conversely, however, these guys are instrumental. After five minutes of pure wandering, the instrumentation in “The Nature of Empire” finally culminates to produce sludgy post-rock that has a near palatable gusto, which continually sweeps over the listener. Occasionally the trance is broken by high-end guitar licks, but once the song concludes, it feels like Kenoma accomplished something profound. However, “1913” backpedals to square one as far as tempo is concerned, relying on minimalism until full density is within reach. Closely resembling Isis’s serene moments, “1913” seems to be a direct offshoot of the influential Oceanic and Panopticon, though don’t let that assertion downplay what’s in front of you. Just like its companion, it takes its own sweet time to spread its magnificent wings.

8.5/10

Split is a record that requires a patient listener who has some time to concentrate on the music, rather than throwing it on to serve as background noise. In other words, this is not the soundtrack for, say, a drive-by shooting. It is perfect for a quiet night at home, though, with headphones employed for good measure. Fans of this sprawling Neurosis-inspired subgenre will embrace Kenoma wholeheartedly, while hugging Mouth of the Architect at the same time. I can’t wait to hear what each of these bands put forth next, but I do expect great things from both.

Overall: 8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Translation Loss Website