move over Anathema

I like Bob Dylan, but I think Warren Zevon owns him in every way. The heart wrench present on his death-bed record, The Wind is so beautiful.

Enjoy every sandwich.

I sure am buddy :)

derek said:
I like Bob Dylan, but I think Warren Zevon owns him in every way. The heart wrench present on his death-bed record, The Wind is so beautiful.

Enjoy every sandwich.

I sure am buddy :)

I like that quote!! Tell me more about this Warren! :D

(I could read up on him, but I would enjoy your perspective!)

He's a singer-songwriter. He's quite sardonic, but the guy really found it easy to be direct, but never blunt or blatant. Some of his songs just have such a beautiful melancholy edge while some others are just great rock songs that seem very one-dimensional - crude, even, but underneath the layers there was a raw honesty. (Much like Bonny 'Prince' Billy conveys, these days).

The guy loved his life and he tragically died in 2003, I believe he was in his 40s. He wrote and recorded The Wind from his deathbed and it's one of the most touching records I've ever heard. For me, Warren could play the heart shaped harp better than anyone who ever lived.

His back catalogue is an honest chronology of the guys life, it had highs, it had lows and he always knew how to express it, honestly and sometimes hidden in metaphor.

Just before he died (he knew he was dying) he made an appearance on Letterman and when ol' David asked him what were his final words, what he wanted to convey to everyone about life he simply replied "Enjoy every sandwich" and never said another word. I revel in the poetry of something so simple every damn day.

I'll stop being gay now :)

ah OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO werewolves of london

I remember when he died. I had just started listening to him a week before.

and then that weekend I was at some guy's house who was obsessed with him. That evening we listened to live recordings and his life was chronicled to me. I was incredibly impressed with what I heard about his attitudes and such. He must've been a great one to be around.

Yeah. I saw him live one time and the guy seemed most genuine. I mean, every now and again some people just have something, a gravitas, a completely ineffable trait that speaks to folks. Mr Zevon had it, :)