Movie Review - Caligula (10/10)

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
B0000214F0.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Bob Guccione and Penthouse Films International present Caligula (1980)
Staring Malcolm McDowell, Teresa Ann Savoy, Helen Mirron, and Peter O'Toole
Written by Gore Vidal
Directed by Tinto Brass

Unlike my last movie review, this one will not be a pissed off rant, but a praise. Caligula may very well be the most controversial film in history. Only one movie dares to show the perversion beind acient Rome, and that movie is Caligula. The epic story of Rome's infamous emperor. It's controversial because of all the sex, nudity, and violence. When it was first released, it was heavily cut, and rated R. But, I'm reviewing the unraded verson.

Caligula is the story of the 4th Roman emperor. The film begins with him fucking his sister in the woods, which is a common theme in the film. Caligula is in love with his sister. It then goes on to show how he became emperor, and how after he fell ill, he became a mad, tyrant. The film shows, in graphic detail, all of his exploitations.

The movie is very good. The sets are great, and McDowell never overacts as the mad emperor Caligula. It really shows you the love that he had for his sister, and trust me, he REALLY loved his sister. He also loved his horse too. The sex scenes are also very convincing, because it's real sex, and not phony, simulated sex. And you will know it's real when you see all the parts penitrating.

The controversy surrounding the films production and what happend after filming is what made a lot of people interested in the movie. It IS a Penthouse production, so expect a TON of sex scenes, and orgies. There is even a lenghty lesbian scene. Also expect loads of blood, gore, and violence. Another controversy surrounding the film was the extra scenes (most of the sex scenes) filmed late at night on the set. There are alot of taboos in the move, including incest, beastilaity, and necrophilia.

If you don't mind a lot of gore and sex, I recommend this movie. I also recommend it to history buffs and those interested in acient Rome.

10/10

It's been forever since I saw that movie and just recently noticed that Best Buy has it in the stores although I'm not sure which version it is. I still rate it high because I saw it in the early 80's but it may falter a bit for people who are just discovering it.