Mr. Craddick..

daydreamer

New Metal Member
Sep 17, 2002
Sea Of Fallen Stars
Visit site
One of the things that distinguished Enchant from the prog crowd was with no doubt Paul Craddick's approach to the drumkit. Of course that's my opinion which is highly subjective being a drummer and all, but I really feel this way.
Although Flanders grows on you as time goes by (hey, is that a prerequisite to be an Enchant member? :)) I really think of Craddick's drumming as very unique, mature and opinionated (if I can even use that word to describe drumming that is).
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I miss him. Derivatives of that train of thought are two questions that come to mind and are addressed to any that has answers. Yes Paul, you included. :D

1. What are his (your) plans concerning music?
2. Why did he (you) actually leave the band?
3. What drum setup is he (are you) using? The more specific the merrier of course.

PS1: This is my first post.yey. </daria comment>
PS2: I don't know how to count beyond 2.

I was so disappointed to hear Craddick left the band, especially since I had tickets to Nearfest. But the new guy did not let me down, he is very good live. I think at this point he is still trying to find his voice in the band. He's no Paul Craddick, but how many drummers are? I'm willing to give him his due, I knew the band wouldn't bring in some slouch on the drum kit. As for the new album, I have no complaints about the drumming. I just wonder how much different it would be with Craddick.

Well ... gone, but apparently not (completely) forgotten -- it's nice to be an object of interest; or is that an interesting object?!

I really appreciate the words of praise for my past efforts and, despite being quite self-critical, I am proud of my best playing with the band (though other performances I delivered over the course of five Enchant albums make me wince; oh well ...).

As to the questions ....

1. Current Activities

I am currently collaborating with Mrs. Craddick on a long-germinating -- musical -- project, the material from which is sounding quite promising (to our ears). It is really nothing like Enchant --- completely different sound, approach, influences, ethos, etc. We're doing it solely for our own edification, though if it eventually sees the light of day in a publicly available album, so much the better. There's an effective division of labor between us, with her handling all of the lyrics, vocals, and co-songwriting, with me given pretty much free rein to play whatever instruments I can get my greedy hands on and kick out some kind of credible performance. It feels to me as if there's definite complementarity and synergy in our collaboration, and I think the material is pretty darn good.

Other current activities of note include intense reading of Nietzche's "Beyond Good and Evil," a brilliant, beautiful, dangerous book. It's quite daunting to know that Nietzsche, advocate of "risk," looked into the abyss and was ... sucked in!

2. Why the exit from Fortress Enchantica?

It all began with Ted demanding that I stop playing so many ratamacues and ruffs, and then covertly de-tuning my tum-tums ... No seriously -- I'm afraid it's the 'ol, banal "musical differences."

To my mind, there's an interesting, rough-and-ready division in the world of "progressive" music (a category-name I don't like, in any event) between the more avante-garde/experimental or "free-spirited" wing, and, say, the more -- how to describe it? -- "working-in-a-kind-of-tradition" approach, which could be described in terms of certain dominant characteristics that *almost* sum to a kind of "formula": long songs, working in odd times (and working in them in a definite way), conveying an "epic" feel, addressing "deep" topics lyrically, employing certain sounds, timbres, and textures, and so on. Though I'm certainly guilty of having worked in terms of the latter approach, my heart is definitely with the former -- to me that's where the real "action" is.

A simple way to illustrate the difference is to name a few bands that might plausibly fall under each category. In the latter, I'll put bands like Spock's Beard, Dream Theater, IQ, Kansas, Gentle Giant, post-Gabriel-pre-Abacab Genesis, post-Close-to-the-Edge Yes, etc. In the former, I'd put King Crimson (espec. from "Red" onwards), Gabriel solo, much of Rush, Radiohead, latter Porcupine Tree, and other more unlikely borderline cases -- like The Police, U2, Our Lady Peace, and other bands which don't so much exemplify a genre or sound as go to define one of their own (Primus or Rage Against the Machine even). As an aside, I think it's an interesting exercise to ponder where Marillion might go (or perhaps at different points they belong in different places?!).

Now, lest there is any misunderstanding, I don't mean to suggest that the bands in the more "traditional" category aren't original, nor that they're not good. It's just that the riskiness and "about-face-ness" which can characterize the work of bands in the more free-wheeling category -- the sometimes stark and refreshing originality and electic blending of disparate genres -- really galvanize me. Plus, such bands might even evince a trace of humor every now and again and, God forbid, a bit of s-s-s-sexiness too.

Although it might be a bit unseemly to compare (mere) pop music to great visual art, think of, say, Picasso's evolution: how he would change styles radically at certain points, and shift to conquer an entirely different manner of expression. Now *that* is what I'm talkin' about!

An index of where to put Enchant in my little schema might be illustrated by typical fan feedback. Personally I must say -- though certainly not wanting to disparage anyone's taste -- that it has always bummed me out to have enthusiasts for the band say something like, "I really like Enchant, along with Cairo,Shadow Gallery, Tiles, etc." To me, whatever virtues those bands have, they're not the kind of musical company I want to keep, by any stretch. Enchant at its best deserves different company, in my view.

Another illustration of my "disconnect" would be some of my recent Enchant favorites. I think, for example, that "Break" and "Defenseless" are amongst the best songs ever recorded by the band, and I certainly think that "My Gavel Hand," "Traces," and "The Lizard" are amongst the most *interesting*. Yet, those tunes are almost always passed over by fans for quite different favorites -- or greeted with a kind of detached, almost indulgent tolerance, allowing them to be the few larks in an otherwise more true-to-form package. (I think "Despicable" is one of the best on the new album; I haven't heard too many votes of confidence for that one, either :( ).

In short, I wished that Enchant would've gone more into the "uncharted" territory. Over time as my insistence on that grew, I became, I fear, more annoying and a negative presence; someone not too fun to work with. It's not that the guys didn't want to experiment and change -- but what they accepted as a reasonable quota and pace of change were less than what I wanted. So -- it just made sense for us to agree for me to move on. I think they're much more cohesive now, for my absence -- it feels to me as if there is more focus and unity of purpose. The proof is in the pudding, as they say; "Blink" is a strong album, no question.

So -- whether I succeed is another matter -- in the future I'll endeavor to be as original as possible, taking risks and, hopefully, pushing the envelope a bit. Speaking of which, the guys and I often speak about further, extra-Enchant collaborations (possibly more Xen, etc.), so I'm sure you haven't heard the last of us playing together.

3. Setup

Nothing new recently. I'm the proud owner of two kits, both maple -- a lovely emerald Green Tama StarClassic kit (very thin, extra-resonant shells [like old, "jazzy" Gretsch drums]), and a light-blue-sparkle, "cocktail-lounge" DW kit. The Tama has a 20" bass drum, the DW 22", measurments which seem to sum up the strengths of the kits; the DW feels more "Rock," whereas the Tama is a bit lighter, more suited to a tighter tuning, etc. By the way, I used the Tama on "Break" and the Xen album, and the DW on Juggling. Out of a small family of snare drums, a little 12" Yamaha "Peter Erskine" model is my favorite (in good form on "Rough Draft"); funnily enough, I use the Vic Firth "Peter Erskine" stick, too (very small, beaded tip to it), and I'm not even particularly knowledgeable about Erskine's playing! Cymbals are a cornucopia of different Zildjians, Paistes, and Sabians (espec. a prized "Dave Garibaldi" model Sabian ride).

--------------

If you made it this far, thanks for suffering through the mini-essay, as well as your interest.

And, remember -- "the perineal is perennial."

i think the reasons you are giving are something that i really can understand. Having played in a number of bands i've personally had a similiar feeling. Well, allright, it really was too boring..hehe..what i am trying to say: i think it's very much understandable for people that are making music that if the interests are moving too much in different directions, then it's getting difficult. But then, being on good terms with the people is more important i think ;-)

for categorizing the 'progressive' stuff, i think it's kind of funny because i have a bunch of problems with the music you'd term 'traditional prog' (huh, what a term). I guess i'd describe it differently though..hehe... my personal problem is that i am in a love hate relationship with 'prog'. Most bands i really like are considered "prog", yet still i don't like the prog-thing in general. Hard to explain for me. Well, maybe part of the reason is i don't like metal one bit, so all those bands originating from metal are not my taste at all. I always had the feeling that i liked it especially when bands were prog without being 'prog' (blergh...anyone else thinking the word 'prog' is silly ?). Enchant is always a very good example to me, because i always had and still have the impression, that Enchant is making some special kind of music. Actually, in certain ways i would put it in what you call the 'former' category. I don't know if i can explain why. It's not as if i think it's super experimental with 'hey lets do something completely new that has never ever seen the light of the earth' but the way Enchant makes music was always (and is) -very- unique. I wouldn't (and couldn't) compare it to any other band. Maybe in terms as 'oh, i like them as much as i like XY', but not as in being similiar. The way songs are made up. The way i feel every single album has a kind of closed sound and feels seperate from all other, but still all definitely sounding like Enchant. That's amazing me every time. Personally, i think i needed some time to the point of appreciation of the music of Enchant that i have now. I remember that when Break was released i first didn't get the feel for it. It took quite some time, but it's been growing so much on me..and hey, funny you mention exactly the songs "My Gavel Hand," "Traces," and "The Lizard". Just this morning i was listening to the 'Break' CD and i absolutely -love- "My Gavel Hand". Lol, funny thing: with a former band i played in we did a cover of "The Lizard" :lol: i admit it's part of the reason i can't listen to that song as much anymore as i used to. Needless to say we didn't get it along with the same intensity..hehe..(btw, the drummer of that band still swears there's a 1/16th stuffed in after the break leading back to the intro-theme (can't remember anymore if it was post or pre guitar solo..i think past..) ). The Lizard was the first song i got really into from 'Break' and i still like it (if i can forget the crap we did to it ;)). Also interesting you mention 'Traces' from Juggling 9... also song that's been somehow special for me. My personal problem with picking favourites: it's so hard because i really like almost every song in it's own kind of way and it's always mood dependent. Also with the band thing you mentioned. It's been amazing me a bunch of times as well. Not wanting to step on any feet *cough* sometimes i was amazed to see bands and i thought 'uggghh...those are the bands that do exactly those things that i love Enchant for -not- doing them'. From what i've seen in general is, that prog-fans are a strange lot (at least for me) and i always thought that most of them must think Enchant is terrible boring and i'd think it's kind of ironic because of not getting the point. To my honest opinion, Enchant has always been charting out sort of unknown territory. Maybe in different kind of ways and maybe it'd have been possible to be more 'radical' in that approach. Honestly, i couldn't tell where this would have lead. I think in some steps Enchant is morphing with every record. If i compare e.g. Blueprint and Break, that's very different in it's own ways. Blueprint is, to me, the most 'traditional' kind of approach (traditional in the prog sense ;)) and that's i think also why i had needed some time to get to fully appreciate it. But i think the album nevertheless is so much more full of..don't know..'energy'. (and the keys rule..hehe). It's still -feels- like something (which am completely missing from almost every prog band). Then 'wounded' goes also a bit in the traditional way...hmm..can't fully describe it. I guess i'd say a bit more 'modern'. Time Lost (which i think is funny i read the band doesn't consider a 'true' album) was the first i got in contact with and i loved it the very first moment. I still love it and as always with first CDs you listen of a band, it'll always have a special place for me. It's haveing a certain blend of styles that i just like. A very good mix of listenable and interesting. personally i think 'interact' might be my favourite there. though hard to say. Always shifting with time. (i think i called about every song my favourite so far ;)). Break, well, break to me at first sound rather 'straight'..o.k. don't kill me, i really wonder if i were on drugs back then ;-) could continue on, but i think..eh..i'm babbling enough already..i just found it kind of odd that you were saying that you seemed to have missed the things that i just always found very strong about the band, but i think i can understand very well the feeling of wanting to try out some stuff. (usually i tend up being the one being said to do things 'too weird' even with it not being my intention :confused: )

On a final note: It's just good to see that you are all on good personal terms and friends. At the end of the day, that's more important i think ;-)

Greetings and best wishes for future plans (and expecting to be musically surprised in the future :))

Steffen (using too many smilies and doing too few paragraphs)

Wow - a response from the man behind the kit himself! Just wanted to say that I love your work in both and Enchant and on your Xen album (which I think is phenominal - Red Letter Day.... geez, that song is SO good). Anyway, it is nice to finally hear the details about your departure from the group - and as I've come to realise over the past bunch of years, stuff like this just HAPPENS - I remember having a tough time dealing with Kevin Moore leaving Dream Theater, but years later, it's now almost like a bonus, as now I get TWO sources of great music (DT - Chromakey <and now OSI!>) instead of just one.

I love Enchant and am still a big fan but as an earlier poster wrote, I ALWAYS associate your drumming with the ENCHANT sound. In the end though, you have to follow where your desire and heart takes you, so be sure that here's one fan who will be there to buy your next project whenever it is released.

And in closing, I always thought THE LIZARD was a kickass tune - it threw me the first time I listened to it (as did a LOT of Break with the songs being so much shorter than previous) but it instantly became one of my favorites. The lyrics are just so well done and as a writer myself, I love your way of conjuring images for the listener with such well-chosen words, and yet maintaining a perfect rhyme scheme.

As a matter of fact, my favorite tunes post-Blueprint are ones I haven't heard fans talk about too much (at least so far - fairly new to this forum!): specifically,
My Enemy
In The Dark (I could go one for pages about how much I LOVE this tune)
Broken Wave
What To Say....

Best of luck in all your future endevours Mr. Craddick!

Great to hear from you Paul. Your sonic and lyrical gems with Enchant were much appreciated. :D The topics you bring up are very interesting chat material.

Prog is very structured (an irony at that). There is the Yes camp, the KC camp, the Genesis camp, the Neo Prog camp, Prog Metal camp, and a few others (space, etc..). Very few bands break from their selected genre. (Break was an apt title, FYI). I know this is a typical criticism, but I don't find it a necessary problem, or a goal to divulge from their current sound. Really it is the tune, the melody, whether it is pleasing or not. I'll give an example outside the prog community. U2 has morphed over the years, with the desire to change in order to stay fresh. Some great (The Unforgettable Fire), some ok (Achtung Baby), some awful (Pop Mart), but not because of the influence of a new sound, but because of the melodies of the songs are better. As an example, A Beautiful Day just sounds better than Lemon, not because the new ABD harkens back to the old U2 sound. Marillion are trying their damnest to break out of the pidgeon holed prog moniker by infusing their new songs with Brit pop influences. Thats great and fine, but I personally don't like the new material as much because the rhythms and melodies arent as strong. What sounds better to you Lavender or When I meet god? I personally like Lavender better because of its beautiful melody. They can change their sound all they want but it comes down to writing solid tunes. Enchant, whether it is 'ballad', 'metal', 'prog', 'AOR', delivers with awesome melodies and rhythms each song.

I personally hate the Prog thing. Too many of the typical 'prog' fans don't open up to listen to new bands unless it sounds like some 70s prog band or if it contains a mellotron solo in it. It works the same way in other camps like prog metal, neo prog. Everything is way too categorized and segregated. Nearfest was classic. Many of the attendees did not give Enchant a chance because they did not fit the profile of a Gentle Giant, or Yeslike band, without even listening to them. It is their lost, but I do wish Enchant to gater more fans - more CD sales. Open up, people.

Only my opinion, your's my vary,
Jim

Wow, that IS a really pleasant surprise 'cause I didn't expect an answer to be frank!

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding with the term "prog".
I never thought that progressive rock involves only odd time sigs, thematic sequences, or really "deep thought" lyrics as you said Paul. To me prog is something unique. Something I have never heard before... Yes songs, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation... and DEFINATELY Enchant. Music that really stands out, not for utilizing a certain pool of thoughts, nor for writing long passages at 19/16 to 10/16...

I would accept you saying that you didn't like us, fans, putting tags. I would appreciate even more if you said something before :|

Don't you think we don't feel the band, don't you think we don't understand you for feeling a certain way. I believe most of these guys talking to you are musicians -I am one too-, so is daydr3am3r -who is a great friend of mine- and I believe most of us are mature enough, and I'm talking about long-time fans of Enchant, that MUSIC HAS NO TAGS, so we would NEVER EVER critisise you for altering your style, your music, yourself in general.

I'm just trying to say that I really REALLY miss you man, and what made me a fan was not the fact that you could groove at 9/8 but that I could LINK to you, to your music, and to the emotions omitting from each note, each beat... :(

To conclude, we are fans of prog indeed (used with the commonly used sense). Prog is experimental, hybrid, evolving, versatile. And that is why it has more chances of reaching your soul. And I believe that you'd say that each one's soul isn't easy to reach.

One more thing: I listen to SyX sometimes. I listen to Dream Theater A LOT. I even listen to Meshuggah at times. That doesn't make me a lesser of a fan of Enchant. Nor does it make me stupid enough to get in touch with your music. YOU FUCKING ROCK! And the newbie proghead would say "hey Enchant suck, Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater can play faster!".
But THAT fan has already lost the meaning of prog. We don't listen to Enchant, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Sieges Even and so on, just because they're technically prow(admit it, you're a technical monster :p). We listen to prog AND TO ANY KIND OF MUSIC because we feel they reach our inner self in a certain way.

Hell, I listen to Greek folklore songs too :) does that mean they're prog too? :)

Thanks for posting here Paul, your music has always been an inspiration, to me for starters and to most people who listen to Enchant.

Go the way you go now :)

And sorry for the long post (and the unintentional mispellings :p)