Mumblefood strikes again

Yeah so do I, I just had to write a synopsis of a track that isn't even written yet in class, complete with song structure. That just isn't the way I go about writing music at all. It's kinda funny that DT would, since that's basically the antithesis of 'progressive'.

Yeah the chord progressions sound pretty similar (after the pitch correction).

I'm not bothered by bands using the same song structures at all. Using the same riffs is a different story though.

When I first heard the intro of Dream Theaters 'Home' I thought they were giving Tools 'fortysix-and-two' a twist. Also in DTs 'this dying soul' the verse from Metallica's 'blackened' is used (at +/- 7:15).
I think that's a bit weird, but they might think of it as a tribute or whatever.

As far as pop songs go, those are usually short and consist of three pieces, verse, chorus and bridge. There simply aren't that many structures possible.

I use this method of making structures like 'intro A B A B C solo B' all the time. After I've written the actual riffs or chord progressions that is. I just can't think of any other, more sensible, way of doing it. I must admit it's rather pointless if you have a song with lots of parts that are all played just once though.

Well, just add a D and create variations of B and everything sounds more original/unusual... ;)

Dream Theater is a band that has been known for bringing audio CDs in the recording studio, to listen to and to be 'inspired' from.

I would not be surprised if they had CDs from 'new age' bands such as Linkin Park and Muse or whatever to base their songs off.

Either they are trying to satisfy a new market of kids who have recently gotten into 'heavy' music and want to know what else is out there 'with solos'...

Or they are just really really hungry.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Bart
There simply aren't that many structures possible.

I'm pretty sure there are, if you have the imagination to think of them.

That looks weird without the context. I said:
"As far as pop songs go, those are usually short and consist of three pieces, verse, chorus and bridge. There simply aren't that many structures possible."

If you want your song to be about 3 minutes and you have verse, chorus and bridge parts written, how many logically sounding structures are there? Bridge is generally played just once, usually before the chorus and not in the beginning of the song. Sure, there are still several ways of wrapping it into a structure, but it's only logical that lots of 'poppy' songs use the same structures.

I don't think all music should be like that (poppy), I love Tool, Opeth, Meshuggah etc. On the other hand, I don't mind simple song-structures at all.