Municipal Waste USA Tour!!!

People bash ATG and Carcass for SOTS and Heartwork because they think they are "sellout" albums but that's dumb. Both albums still retain the oldschool death metal sound- just more fine tuned structurally and more melodic. Big deal.

The funniest is when snobs claim ATG and Carcass reunited for money. Arch Enemy probably pulls in more $$$ than Carcass ever did.

People bash ATG and Carcass for SOTS and Heartwork because they think they are "sellout" albums but that's dumb. Both albums still retain the oldschool death metal sound- just more fine tuned structurally and more melodic. Big deal.

I always get a good laugh out of hearing the snobs bitch and moan over that, how it's somehow less metal because it's a little more polished and more people knew about it. Then again, these are the same people that consider a black metal band sellouts once they're playing to more people they can fit in their shed.

The funniest is when snobs claim ATG and Carcass reunited for money. Arch Enemy probably pulls in more $$$ than Carcass ever did.

I'm sure there's some money involved, particularly with the big Euro festivals. You are right that Arch Enemy certainly pulls in more money, but remember that Amott (and Erlandsson, but he's not really part of the equation here) is the only one in Arch Enemy. I'm sure Walker and Steer certainly don't mind a little extra money coming in, regardless of whether they admit to it or not.

I'm definitely not saying they sold out or they're doing it for the money, just providing food for thought :) I for one can't wait to see AtG live, and I've been bugging Earache to bring Carcass over too :heh:

SotS is my favorite by them, but the comment is pretty dead-on if you ask any of the genre snobs. They will all tell you SotS is when At The Gates sold out and went commercial, bought their mansions and killed hookers for fun. Something that extreme CAN'T be wrong.

I dont get the whole "genre snobs" comment... When the disc came out I remember playing it to death (no pun intended) at the record store I worked at. I sold a LOT of copies due to that, as all death metal fans, melo-death fans and thrash metal fans each found something in there they liked. It is one of those discs that became an instant classic.

Then again, that was back in Denmark, and perhaps what is considered a classic over there by the thrash/death/melo-death audience is considered something else over here in the US.

c.

I dig Municipal Waste...
But I can't wait to see Death Angel supporting their great new disk!!!!!!!!!!!! They're out with Testament soon...

Oh and At The Gates will be brutal!! Hope I can make it...
Really? I saw a DEATH ANGEL/GOD FORBID tour. Two dates are out already for this. I hope you're right, though. I saw a rumor way back about a TESTAMENT, DEATH ANGEL, EXODUS tour possibly sometime this year. Is that what you're referring to?

I dont get the whole "genre snobs" comment... When the disc came out I remember playing it to death (no pun intended) at the record store I worked at. I sold a LOT of copies due to that, as all death metal fans, melo-death fans and thrash metal fans each found something in there they liked. It is one of those discs that became an instant classic.

Then again, that was back in Denmark, and perhaps what is considered a classic over there by the thrash/death/melo-death audience is considered something else over here in the US.

c.

It is certainly their most widely appreciated disc here too, that's not what I meant. I was referring to that crowd of people in every genre who always insist that everything before the popular disc was amazing and everything since has been commercial garbage. Not saying I agree (in fact, I said just the opposite! :p), just saying that's what I usually hear from that crowd.

My forum is filled with those morons, so I'm more than used to it now.

c.

The venues they are hitting on this tour are pretty large so obviously SOTS is considered a classic here too. However alot of people felt like ATG sold out because their first 3 albums were more technical and SOTS was more simplistic. Likewise, alot of people thought Heartwork was a sellout album for Carcass because it was melodic and not super brutal with gory lyrics. I am a fan of ATG's early stuff and I'm a fan of Carcass' death/grind stuff, but saying those albums are sellout albums is like saying 'Number Of The Beast' or 'Painkiller' were sellout albums. So fucking what if they are catchy and melodic?