music activism

why do Record Companies choose the acts that they do?

Like, if they can control the industry so much wouldnt they make the same money out of bands like Anathema and Antimatter?

pistol_pete said:
why do Record Companies choose the acts that they do?

Like, if they can control the industry so much wouldnt they make the same money out of bands like Anathema and Antimatter?

We have nothing to do with that game, and Anathema havent had a big push since Judgement, which didnt work. Im sure the likes of Christina Aguilera and Westlife have more mass appeal than me and Mick singing about brain difficult. Even if we had signed to a major theres no guarantee that anything would get pushed at all. Although the likes of Over Your Shoulder and Psalms could have been a commercial success if they had been force fed to everyone, cos they're so catchy. If Robbie Williams released Electricity it would probably go straight to number one as well.
Have you tried them dipped Flakes? Im gonna have to run over the shop for another..

Strangelight said:
nice one. its a pity the majority of people here arent arsed, even though they complain the their favourite bands dont get enough media coverage. it says a lot eh?
well i signed up to the site a few days back, and the college photocopier :lol: even thought people (eg me) havent posted dont mean they havent visited or matbe even stuck a paw print on the dotted line, or danced with the devil depending on which stupid thread you read last :err:

Strangelight said:
Im sure the likes of Christina Aguilera and Westlife have more mass appeal than me and Mick singing about brain difficult. Even if we had signed to a major theres no guarantee that anything would get pushed at all. Although the likes of Over Your Shoulder and Psalms could have been a commercial success if they had been force fed to everyone, cos they're so catchy. If Robbie Williams released Electricity it would probably go straight to number one as well.
i wasn't really talkin bout Christina and them.

I'd just like for once, a band that i really liked to become accepted by the masses. I like a lot of the "mainstream rock stuff", like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, the Strokes, the Darkness, Radiohead, Coldplay, Nirvana, Soundgarden and many others....but not NEAR to the same extent of other artists i listen to.... yet there not that different.

E.g: i always wanted Jerry Cantrell to be massive. but it never happened, and when that band Nickelback got real big i thought jerry might get his chance but Nickelback and Staind where all over our radios here and its not that they're the worst bands in the world its just Jerry was writing better stuff for so long. So why did Nickelback get so big and Jerry never did. Like what i said in my other post, if a record company has the power to make Nickelback a success everywhere, couldnt they have just let Jerry have his moment. I guess it will never happen.

Im starting to think that record companies have me bugged and they purposely dont make any bands i listen to a big success.

pistol_pete said:
i wasn't really talkin bout Christina and them.

I'd just like for once, a band that i really liked to become accepted by the masses. I like a lot of the "mainstream rock stuff", like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, the Strokes, the Darkness, Radiohead, Coldplay, Nirvana, Soundgarden and many others....but not NEAR to the same extent of other artists i listen to.... yet there not that different.

E.g: i always wanted Jerry Cantrell to be massive. but it never happened, and when that band Nickelback got real big i thought jerry might get his chance but Nickelback and Staind where all over our radios here and its not that they're the worst bands in the world its just Jerry was writing better stuff for so long. So why did Nickelback get so big and Jerry never did. Like what i said in my other post, if a record company has the power to make Nickelback a success everywhere, couldnt they have just let Jerry have his moment. I guess it will never happen.

Im starting to think that record companies have me bugged and they purposely dont make any bands i listen to a big success.

Once again it depends what you mean by "a big success". And why you want your favourite bands to become 'flavour of the month'. If you can buy their stuff now then whats the problem?

Strangelight said:
Once again it depends what you mean by "a big success". And why you want your favourite bands to become 'flavour of the month'. If you can buy their stuff now then whats the problem?
there's no problem.

the main reason I would have liked Jerry to have been a big success was so that i would have got to see him tour for his last two albums. cause at the moment i cant really go away to see him. Audioslave were brought to Dublin to play the Point after releasing one album. and the red hot chilli peppers seem to be constantly playing.

And i know i can listen to my favourite bands on CD anytime, but it would be nice to turn on the radio and hear them or be in a nightclub in town and hear them or to see them on the Late Late Show. Although that makes no sense at all, id just like it.

Ooooh thanx Dunc excellent site... Some of those flyers are excellent I especially like "put down that beer and stop hitting on that 19 year old" . Its rediculous to think that for years and years you follow a band buy all the albums the t shirts the tickets the dvd whatever assuming that by doing so you are supporting them to think that the musicians that you idolise receive jack shit.

I think the words to use would be "eye opening"