Music: Art or Entertainment?

Music: Art or Entertainment?

• Art

Votes: 39 76.5%
  • Entertainment

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters
lnasphinx said:
by the way, which metal bands are 'art' for you?

Wow... for me, there are probably too many to list, as I think I tend to gravitate more towards the artsy stuff. A few might be Arcturus, Borknagar, Dimmu, Vintersorg, Bal Sagoth, Opeth, old Meshuggah, Project Hate MCMXCIX maybe?, King Diamond, old Yngwie, Marty Friedman's solo stuff, Therion, Limbonic Art, older Amorphis, Tartaros (Charmond Grimlock), ummm... about a thousand more probably that I would consider "very artistic".

But of course, your mileage may vary.

~Robert

Real music is when the bands/musicians pour their emotions, their idealogy, their thoughts and perspectives, their soul into sound. I do not consider music made for entertainment music even, it is a product used by the masses to pass their time until they have something better to do, or "listened" to in order to have a good time or whatever the case.

i acnt spell said:
This thread is full of so much pretentious bullshit it's amazing.

The perhaps you should return to the thousands of recommendation threads and other pointless bullshit on this forum.

Caelum Adustum said:
The perhaps you should return to the thousands of recommendation threads and other pointless bullshit on this forum.
I think it's a great discussion topic, and you're right, it stands out far more than a lot of the other bullshit here. However, some of the content is ridiculous.

Music really shouldn't be about the fans at all it should only be about the people who make it and them fulfilling their musical needs. Of course I'd think only composers would agree.