Music festival goers: How much of the lineup typically appeals to you?

I agree with Bryan, when Glenn announced RAINTIME, i kinda went whoaaaaa great choice, then REDEMPTION got my blood going, then COMMUNIC, and PM and SA and AF, and Threshold plus you add in Vanden Plas and My Freak Brothers FREAK KITCHEN, and whatever else Shane has in his mind, then this has to be one Show that had me from the start, and keep me excited with every announcement.

my reply, cut and pasted from another forum, with a few additions... maybe people here will actually read mine. :)

John Frank said:
I always end up frustrated over metal festival lineups, as they usually consist of 10-20% bands I'd love to see and the remaining 80-90% is uninteresting to me.

This is not surprising to me, because, by your own admission, this same ratio seems to apply to the number of bands you like in general. Those people who are enthusiastic most bands are, on average, going to enjoy most of the roster, and those who like about 10% of bands will enjoy, on average, 10% of a fest roster.

I am wondering if I am too picky for fests. Maybe I am not enough of a genre fan. Maybe I am not enough of a fan of live music in general.

Possibly. I know that I hardly ever go to shows anymore -- last year, I only went to CPF and PPUSA, and no local shows. But that's more because I don't really know anyone locally who likes the same music I do, and because I get annoyed with the general crowd at Cleveland shows. I love live music, but, as with almost any bar-related activity, it's more fun with company.

To answer your main question... it depends on the fest. Year after year, Chris and Rob {Chicago Powerfest} cease to amaze me by getting bands I love, and few or no bands I don't enjoy. Last year, I liked every band on the roster. This year's CPF lineup contains the largest number of bands that I'm unfamiliar with, but from what I've heard so far, I'm going to like those bands -- plus I've been begging for Solitude Aeturnus for... how many years now? This CPF will mark the first time I've ever gotten to see ANY classic doom band live.

ProgPower USA, on the other hand, at least for the past three or four fests, has been very hit-or-miss, lineup-wise, for me. This year in particular, there is ONE band that I really want to see, that I haven't already seen... a few bands that I enjoy, that I've already seen... and the rest I either dislike or they don't interest me. {When PPUSA first got started, I remember liking about 80% or so of bands on the roster, and 100% of the bands on the PP1 roster. Out of 12 bands so far this year, I like four, which is just above 30%, but I dislike four as well.} However, I keep going to PPUSA a) for the social experience, because it's the only time of the year I get to see many of my friends, and it's the only time I ever feel like "Mr. Popular" (I need that ego boost once in a while); and b) because it's such an amazing, one-of-a-kind event. I honestly believe that, even if there were NO bands that really caught my fancy, I'd still go to PPUSA.

But then again, I have no wife or kids, so I can spend my money on whatever the hell I want. :)

When I go, I usually love at least 2 bands, like 5, and don't hate anymore than 2. One of the bands I love has to be a headliner and no band I can't stand can be a headliner. Unless the other headliner is a can't-miss.

Then there's the one-off things. I don't care if PPVI consisted of 9 bands that all sounded like Pain of Salvation. I wasn't going to miss a chance to see Conception.

For ProgPower, I've always looked forward to an average of 8/10 of the bands. Usually one of those bands wins me over after the show, leaving me with only 1 band that I didn't get excited about. Of course, I'm also a photographer which makes me anticpate bands for reasons other than just their music.

Great thread!!

I have been rocking a looooooooooooooooong time and the reason I love live music so much is you can never tell how a band is going to play live from a studio album. I went to my first PP to see my heros (SavaWeapons) and my second fav band, Edguy. Didn't know shit about other bands, but I like going in not knowing a lot about a band and judging them live before ever owning their CDs.

This will be my fourth PP. There have been so many bands that I got into AFTER I saw them at PP - Tad Morose, Manticora, Into Eternity, Mercenary are a few. Never could get into Evergrey on CD, but their live show blew my fucking doors off!! Same with Therion - Their CDs put me to sleep, but live - SHIT!! I haven't seen too many bands live that I could not find something I liked - whether it be a singer or an instrument. I love to see the Scorps because I enjoy watching Rudi enjoy his job!! Same with Styx and JY!!

Some bands, like Zero Hour, I just cannot get into. GREAT singer (Chris Salinas is a friend of mine - sorry, Chris!!) and GREAT musicians, but it sounds like metal jazz to me. I have been to three of their shows and haven't finished one yet. Same with PoS - I watched their entire set at PP and was impressed with the creativity and originality (try to put THOSE sumbitches into a genre!!), but I can't get into it. It's all a matter of taste.

Then, there's always the pleasant suprises like Freak Kitchen last year. I knew about Mattias' antics and being a virtuoso on the guitar, but their set last year was probably the most entertaining act since the first time I saw Jackyl. Mattias could also be a stand-up comic!! He is just hi-fucking-larious!! Cannot wait to see them again this year!!

My $0.04!! Chris :headbang:

I'm only attended the various ProgPower festivals, but here is how it breaks down for me.

PPIII:
Must see: Blind Guardian, Pain of Salvation, Angra, Edguy, Gamma Ray
The rest I was actually interested in seeing, but not excited.
Got to meet Hansi and Kai Hansen.

PPV
Must see: Pain of Salvation, Kamelot, Weapons of Mass Destruction (I mean Savatage)
Interested in: Edguy, Tad Morose, Brainstorm
The rest we not on my list but I did enjoy Into Eternity.
This was good festival because the guys from Into Eternity were a couple of rooms down and we had some beers with them the evening of their set. An Tad Morose was hanging out by the pool the next day while we were grilling.

PPVIII:

Must See: Sonata Arctica, Virgin Steele, Primal Fear
Interested in: After Forever, Threshold, Redemption
The rest are off my radar, hopefully they will be good.