Veteran advice for the sake of first time PPUSA goers: A few questions for veterans

KYF_Cincinnati

The Metal Professor
Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati, USA
www.rockreport.be
With all of the PPUSA veterans posting on JAX's thread, I figured I would take the opportunity to ask a few questions for the sake of first time attendees of PPUSA? Thanks in advance. Feel free to send answers to mcfay2000@yahoo.com if you want. Sorry if some of these are answered in other parts of the forum.

-What hotel, (usually), has the most PPUSA goers? Which hotel do you recommend?

-Is there ever anyone that tries to coordinate a meeting place, (before the shows), for PPUSA forum members to party?

-In general, any advice to first timers on how to get full enjoyment out of the experience?

-What's your favorite thing about having a "Gold Badge"?

-Do you think they will confiscate iPhones at the door?

With all of the PPUSA veterans posting on JAX's thread, I figured I would take the opportunity to ask a few questions for the sake of first time attendees of PPUSA? Thanks in advance. Feel free to send answers to mcfay2000@yahoo.com if you want. Sorry if some of these are answered in other parts of the forum.

-What hotel, (usually), has the most PPUSA goers? Which hotel do you recommend? Artmore and Residence Inn

-Is there ever anyone that tries to coordinate a meeting place, (before the shows), for PPUSA forum members to party? Sort of. But its usually discussed from person to person so just chat with people and you'll likely find a party

-In general, any advice to first timers on how to get full enjoyment out of the experience? Don't get too drunk such that you miss bands. Don't worry about missing a band (i.e. make sure you eat imo).

-Do you think they will confiscate iPhones at the door? No. Just don't be taking pictures with your phone.

Responses in bold.

-Is there ever anyone that tries to coordinate a meeting place, (before the shows), for PPUSA forum members to party?

What Cheiron said. Also, see http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/508013-posters-name-tags.html and http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/522575-prog-power-luncheon-friday-sept-11-1pm.html

-In general, any advice to first timers on how to get full enjoyment out of the experience?

See http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/522975-newbies.html

For me, it's the early access to everything without having to wait in line, and not having to dink around with TicketRapist fees.

According to the sticky post above, no.

I highly recommend reading this thread:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/522975-newbies.html

It all depends on location, price, features and of course availability. A lot of people like the Artmore because it's the closest to Center Stage, where most of the bands stay, etc. But, it also tends to be one of the first one to fill up. the Residence Inn a couple of blocks away on Peachtree Street NE is a good alternative.
Define party. Lots of people party at the Artmore after the show. But we are having a "meet and greet" of us forum folks at the Front Page News restaurant on Friday afternoon. See the thread for more details. See this thread: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/522575-prog-power-luncheon-friday-sept-11-1pm.html
Talk to and get to know people. I've found that the more people you get to know, the more fun you have. Otherwise you'll be there with a thousand strangers. I wouldn't find that very fun.
I have never had one so I don't know. However one of the perks that I know I'd like (and being a sponsor I'll also get) is the ability to go in the venue early.

I highly doubt it. Just don't take videos with it though. With cell phones having good cameras - I do wonder how well the "no cameras" policy can be really enforced these days? :erk:

Personally, I prefer the Residence Inn because of the full kitchen and the no-smoking policy. Unfortunately, if you look up "price gouging" in the dictionary, you will see a photo of this particular RI. Because of this, I have seen fewer and fewer PP attendees there over the last couple of years.

Personally, I prefer the Residence Inn because of the full kitchen and the no-smoking policy. Unfortunately, if you look up "price gouging" in the dictionary, you will see a photo of this particular RI. Because of this, I have seen fewer and fewer PP attendees there over the last couple of years.

Agreed...but a little birdie told me that people end up canceling in the last 3 weeks before the fest and prices there rocket down to reasonable ranges pretty fast.

I've never secured a room there under $250 a night before but year after year, last-minute bookers tell me they get theirs around $130.

The high pricetag kept me away from there last year (Inn at the Peachtrees instead) and this year (this time the Super 8). I have a strong preference for Marriott hotels and even have Rewards points so it's kind of irritating for me to be so strongly discouraged from staying there year after year like this.

I'm actually quite fond of the Courtyard by Marriott next to the bagel place on 14th but it's a little hike and also getting expensive. Last two times I tried to book there it was sold out but my first progpower I went early and my (relatively) cheap room wasn't ready so they upgraded me to the first available room at no extra charge which ended up being their biggest/nicest.

Agreed...but a little birdie told me that people end up canceling in the last 3 weeks before the fest and prices there rocket down to reasonable ranges pretty fast.

I've never secured a room there under $250 a night before but year after year, last-minute bookers tell me they get theirs around $130.

That happened at the Artmore today, I booked my room a few hours ago. I was going to be at the Inn at the Peachtrees, but this'll be a hell of a lot closer. I can't believe I'm finally gonna see Fates live! This will be my first metal festival.

hotel wise , try to check the Res In I'm pretty sure the have a buch of cancelations. I work for Marriott and I just book my room today for $45 per night, thats tells me that they have plenty of rooms open. You wont get such a low rate but you should get a much lower rate than people that made reservations month ago.