For the newbies

This should be a "sticky" post...great info here. Thanks!

I concur.
The past two years I have attended ProgPower, we have ventured to the Junkman's Daughter (which by the way, is a badass store) and started to walk around that area a little bit but ran out of time.

I am from Chicago and we have a couple of really cool Metal stores up here that sell Metal/Goth clothing, accessories, vinyl, etc etc.
...was wondering if Atlanta had any worth cheking out.

We will have transportation, so distance isn't really an issue.

Sorry if I missed it in another thread.
Thanx!

I concur.

+1

The past two years I have attended ProgPower, we have ventured to the Junkman's Daughter (which by the way, is a badass store) and started to walk around that area a little bit but ran out of time.

I am from Chicago and we have a couple of really cool Metal stores up here that sell Metal/Goth clothing, accessories, vinyl, etc etc.
...was wondering if Atlanta had any worth cheking out.

Junkman's is probably your best bet in the city proper. While there, be sure to say "hi" to "Satanist" Sam Cuadra, of Apocalyptic Visions, in the back. :lol:

Also in Little Five Points is a smaller store called Le Petit Mort, which has some goth/S&M type stuff...owned by a friend o' mine, Shane.

Any ideas on a quick, cheap, tasty restaraunt within walking distance of the Artmore for Thursday evening? We won't have too much time between getting into our room and getting to the show.

mëtålspëd;8516093 said:
You won't regret it. I bring a few pairs with me to the show, in case I lose them... or I have to help a friend in a pinch.

They just came today. They actually offer a "baby blue" earplug that is smaller (for those of us not so big people) which fit me perfectly. They should be really comfortable at the festival.

By now you all know that Center Stage is where all the good stuff is happening. But if you've never been there before, it's on the corner of West Peachtree Street and 17th Street. It's two blocks north of the Arts Center MARTA stop on the left side of the road. The Artmore (formerly the Granada) is one block north on the left.

Here's a photo of it so you can recognize it. Google Street View caught this picture about a year or so ago.

center_stage_gm.jpg

By now you all know that Center Stage is where all the good stuff is happening. But if you've never been there before, it's on the corner of West Peachtree Street and 17th Street. It's two blocks north of the Arts Center MARTA stop on the left side of the road.

Thanks for the info and the pic, surely useful for me.

One question so the N5 MARTA station is indeed two blocks from the CS?, I was told it was a mile, or Atlanta blocks are longer than usual (100 yards roughly)? Just to know if I'll be able to walk with my luggage to it or not (I may need to meet my roomies in there).

One question so the N5 MARTA station is indeed two blocks from the CS?, I was told it was a mile, or Atlanta blocks are longer than usual (100 yards roughly)? Just to know if I'll be able to walk with my luggage to it or not (I may need to meet my roomies in there).

The Arts Center stop is roughly between 15th and 16th street (according to Google Maps). So it's not very far. Now, depending on your hotel, you may have a decent walk. Where are you staying?

Thanks Esa, so it's like three of our blocks.

The Arts Center stop is roughly between 15th and 16th street (according to Google Maps). So it's not very far. Now, depending on your hotel, you may have a decent walk. Where are you staying?

Well, I stay with some friends at a townhouse at 376 16th St. NW. Been told is quite a walk from N5 MARTA station, but I can take supposedly the Atlantic Station free shuttle that drops me nearby.

In anycase I can't do much until I clear immigration and customs, I need to call one of them get the keycode to access the place. If I can't reach her, then I'll have to walk to the Center Stage and drop at the front door waiting for them to get out sometime :lol:

I'll found out Wednesday night :D

Total PP noob here. These are some great tips. I'll be attending only on Friday and driving to Atlanta (2 hours from where I work) on no sleep, since I work Thursday night and can't get time off. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to survive the day/night on no sleep? Normally I would have passed... but I've been waiting for a chance to see Kamelot for a while now and just can't miss this.

Also, I saw something about Friday night being corset night? I was planning on wearing one anyway... hmm.

Lastly, I'm super excited about the signing sessions, but I'm kinda worried I'll make an idiot of myself. What kind of stuff is okay to have them sign (besides their merch)?

Total PP noob here. These are some great tips. I'll be attending only on Friday and driving to Atlanta (2 hours from where I work) on no sleep, since I work Thursday night and can't get time off. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to survive the day/night on no sleep? Normally I would have passed... but I've been waiting for a chance to see Kamelot for a while now and just can't miss this.

Also, I saw something about Friday night being corset night? I was planning on wearing one anyway... hmm.

Lastly, I'm super excited about the signing sessions, but I'm kinda worried I'll make an idiot of myself. What kind of stuff is okay to have them sign (besides their merch)?

I'm a newbie too so I know where you're at.
I'm taking the pickguard off my Squier p-bass to have Tarot sign, get something like that? If I had someplace safe to keep it, I'd bring my professional bass(see sig banner) for them to sign lol!!

Just remember musicians are like anyone else, they do the same as us...eat, breathe, etc..lol...just be yourself.

As far as surviving...Jolt or lots of Red Bull? Lol

5 hour energy works decently for me. You might want to test a half shot of it before PP weekend to make sure it doesn't have any bad side effects for you. I've never had an issue with over anxiousness or trouble falling asleep a few hours later, but I've read some stuff from people either greatly exaggerating what happened to them or it just has an extreme effect for some people. And a fair warning, it tastes like shit no matter what flavor you get. It's a 2oz shot so it's at least over quickly. I usually try to chase it with something to get rid of the taste.

Glad to hear you're coming to PP!

Yes, Friday night is indeed corset night.

I've seen people bring a lot of CDs and posters. Also, many have bands sign the Event Program (free!).

~Jen

I'm a newbie too so I know where you're at.
I'm taking the pickguard off my Squier p-bass to have Tarot sign, get something like that? If I had someplace safe to keep it, I'd bring my professional bass(see sig banner) for them to sign lol!!

Just remember musicians are like anyone else, they do the same as us...eat, breathe, etc..lol...just be yourself.

As far as surviving...Jolt or lots of Red Bull? Lol

There is a picture I've done (still working on part of it) that was heavily inspired by a couple of Kamelot's songs, and I kinda wanted them to sign the original sketch, since I could ONLY draw it while playing those songs over and over. They kinda gave it life, so I feel like they helped create it.

And lol, if only I liked the taste of Red Bull.... ewww. I think I'll load up on some hyper caffeine coffee creamer shots...

I've seen people bring a lot of CDs and posters. Also, many have bands sign the Event Program (free!).

~Jen

they sign almost anything - one year, someone got someone to sign their Subway sandwich wrapper (don't ask)...and then there was the year some crazy broad got her entire body signed (no really...you can ask about that one if you find me ;))

unless you burst into tears and get all Jerry Springer on them, you make a fool of yourself ;)

--The Su

Glad to hear you're coming to PP!

~Jen

That what I typically do - just get the band to sign the program (there is usually a space provided on the "band page" after the text of the interview where they can sign). I've also typically get them to sign the CD as well, which is more often than not bought just minutes before at the vendor tables.

I believe that that want you to limit it to something like three items for them to sign to help keep the line moving. Thus, don't bring your entire CD catalog, every poster, every T-shirt, etc, etc, for them to sign.

For example - Sabaton paraphernalia from this last ProgPower:

IMG_3291Medium.jpg