The illegal download/piracy/legal download/music business in 2011 thread

On the topic of piracy.... Grooveshark (free music streaming site) now has Blood Alliance.... in addition to all the other albums with bonus tracks.

I'd like to know what the deal is here. I know members of Grooveshark upload from their libraries but I read somewhere that Grooveshark only keeps those tracks that they pay licensing for...I think? Even if Napalm got their due, PQ would get next to nothing compared to someone actually buying the album.

It's funny...all these, and I'm going to make myself sound like a dinosaur now, new fangled things like Grooveshark, Spotify etc.....I haven't got a clue about them at all, and I can't be bothered finding out.

I guess all I want to do is to continue to make albums and play live.....and it seems to me that somewhere along the line all these things are going to conspire against me.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic...but I'm not convinced as yet

That makes sense. However. That was not where I was going with my response. :D

I was referring to when the copyright and intellectual property rights have expired for said material (and they do if noone re-establishes them again) and it falls under public domain, what are the moral implications here as by the legal standpoint the person (who has a copy)can do whatever they wish with the material.

I actually own and have purchased public domain material in the past and made copies for myself and other people for personal use in the past. :)

Ok, here is the results of the Bern Convention in which most countries in the world discussed copyright.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works
In here they agreed that 50 years after death of the author, copyrights are given free. In Europe they added another 20 years to that, so 70 years after death, but in most countries it's 50 years.

Meaning that for example Beethoven's music is free to be published and spread without you going to jail. that was your question right? The answer to that is, yes you can, unless the orchestra that played the piece of Beethoven didnt die more than 70 years ago. (assuming you are English) then they are the author of the old piece of Beethoven and then you are violating their author/copyright.

It's funny...all these, and I'm going to make myself sound like a dinosaur now, new fangled things like Grooveshark, Spotify etc.....I haven't got a clue about them at all, and I can't be bothered finding out.

I guess all I want to do is to continue to make albums and play live.....and it seems to me that somewhere along the line all these things are going to conspire against me.

:(

Times just change dude and we got to evolve along with it, or get left behind if you don't hop on the evolution train. I posted this presentation earlier in this thread, but I haven't seen anyone react to it.

ttp://vimeo.com/4244922

It's about how rent Reznor of NIN tries to make money in other ways than just making an album trying to sell it the old fashioned way and bitch about how soon his album got out on torrent sites. And he did a pretty damned good job doing so.

I'm not saying you should do the same, since NIN has got much bigger troops of fans supporting them, but it is interesting to watch and it shows that the era of making an album and thinking it will sell itself if you tour as much as you can is over.

His formula CwF + RtB = $$$ works. (connect with fans + reason to buy)

Making and selling music isn't anymore about the music itself. (which I regret deeply as someone who grew up in the golden eighties) It's about marketing models, sales analysis, effective costs reduction, and networking big time.

you already do the CwF formula through this forum. That's something bands couldnt be doing in the 80's. Hence look at me, I never heard of PQ before I came here (sorry, I left "powermetal" behind me a long time ago) and I bought the album and I'm going to see you guys here in April. CwF works ;)

Torrent sites and internet leaking are just there. I dont get why people wouldnt buy an album, but as you read yourself already, there are some sick fucks out there that think they even have the right to download stuff even in your fan base. Times changed, rapidly and to keep up you need to go with the flow.

So, face up and chest forward ! You got an awesome new album out which even I like from what I have heard already. And I am sick and tired of powermetal. So that says a lot. You will sell and this album could be a breakthrough, especially when you guys play more over here and maybe hop along supporting a big name. I am sure your management is working on that.

Wise word mr NOT! I must check out that presentation too!

Yeah...CwF.....has always been an important thing for me, hence why I'm around this board as often as I am. Indeed, touring is becoming more and more costly as well so it is always a risk putting on a headline tour that's for sure......and getting on the best support slots requires the inevitable "buy on" per show as well. So you are dead right.....new ways need to be discovered to maximise impact and minimise costs.

Great to hear we have won over someone who had left power metal behind......although I'd like to think that PQ offers something a little bit more than the average PM band these days

As a side note, with this album, Power Quest definitely offers something more than the average power metal band. There are those classic power metal sounds, of course, but a song like Better Days is, in my opinion, something that fans of music all across the board can appreciate!

Also, if that side project akin to 80s hard rock ever comes to fruition and it sounds like that song... put me down for a copy of your debut right now! :lol:

Some comments from the Last FM Power Quest shoutbox:

Vggamegod (yesterday afternoon)
I really like the new vocalist, he's gonna be great for the band I'm thinking. Also, pirating doesn't help bands as much as music pirates seem to think, though the point isn't completely mute to be sure. If you can afford it and enjoy it, please buy it. That's the best way to tell a band you like their music ;D

Schander (Tuesday evening)
It's kinda pathetic to get mad about something like that... one: it's inevitable and two: hurricane_mario said it best.

hurricane_mario (last Friday)
What so many bands dont realize is that pirating actually helps them. It exposes exponentially more people to the music and the true fans will buy physical copies to support the band, and to have physical copies. Can't get fans if you don't know the band exists.

Avondschemer (last week)
lol, i actually knew that the new album was up for download because a Power Quest member tweeted it :')

Don't know why I post this, just wanted to show the different opinions on the subject.

Avondschemer (last week)
lol, i actually knew that the new album was up for download because a Power Quest member tweeted it :')

Hmm, I find it hard to believe that any member of Power Quest would tweet the album for download. :rolleyes:

Do any of the guys even use twitter? I know Steve doesn't.

Some comments from the Last FM Power Quest shoutbox:

Vggamegod (yesterday afternoon)
I really like the new vocalist, he's gonna be great for the band I'm thinking. Also, pirating doesn't help bands as much as music pirates seem to think, though the point isn't completely mute to be sure. If you can afford it and enjoy it, please buy it. That's the best way to tell a band you like their music ;D

Schander (Tuesday evening)
It's kinda pathetic to get mad about something like that... one: it's inevitable and two: hurricane_mario said it best.

hurricane_mario (last Friday)
What so many bands dont realize is that pirating actually helps them. It exposes exponentially more people to the music and the true fans will buy physical copies to support the band, and to have physical copies. Can't get fans if you don't know the band exists.

Avondschemer (last week)

Don't know why I post this, just wanted to show the different opinions on the subject.

ah what a bunch of idiots... its "moot", not mute! :p

ah what a bunch of idiots... its "moot", not mute! :p

Buch of morons....

Sounds to me like people knowing they are doing something wrong, but thought about it for ages to come up with a believable justification for stealing and spreading music and then saying it so many times that they actually start believing it themselves.

Sounds to me like a guy that's abusing his wife and the wife saying about her abusing husband: "yes, but he has a good side too" Illegal is illegal.

If you want to get acquintant with music, what we used to do was to go to a record store and just see what was being sold in the Metal category, and talk to other headbangers to see what bands they liked. Or read denim patches jackets at concerts and see what bands you knew and what other bands you'd need to check out. Lot's of other ways to meet new music. Even internet possibilities without illegal downloads like forums and bandsites.

As a certain Mr Krueger once said....."What's with kids today"? lol!

If you can afford it, buy it.....if you can't.....do what I had to do when I was kid and damn well get a job, save up and then buy it.

I think for all the wonderful things the internet has done.......it is breeding a lazy generation I think where everything is just a mouse click away. I know, time marches on and it's all progress apparently.....but is it? In some ways of course yes...but in others, a resounding no.

Totally agree with mr NOT.......if you tell yourself something enough times, even if it is completely absurd, you will start believing it!

I agree... just looking my CD collection I've probably spent well over $1500 just for the CDs I have, but I completely agree with you, Steve - just buy the damn album! I've even been willing to shell out an extra 5-10 USD just for a rare album because that's all that's available...