Music Piracy

Maelstrom

Metal is the Law!
Jan 27, 2002
Adelaide
www.theharrowed.com
What's everyone's opinion on the issue of music piracy and downloading? It seems to be killing the industry, even at the smaller level.

Bear in mind, I'm a hypocrite when it comes to this as well. I've downloaded a few songs here and there. Moslty ones that I'm too embarressed to say that I like, and they lie in the dark recesses of my hard drive - renamed to make them sound like metal songs.:D

The thing that irks me is the people that have stacks of rips, burns and mp3's in their collections! I know someone who has on their burn list (ie they charge $10 to burn any cd on the list) has Fury's Slavekind, and also Dungeon's Rise to Power:mad:
It only came out a week ago, FFS!!

I know I might look like a whinging bitch about this but when you're unsigned you need every sale that you can get!

What's everyone's thoughts?

Well, the sad fact is (as you've no doubt found out by now) that you can't stop it. It sucks, yeah, but that's the cold hard truth.

We know Resurrection was widely traded and we knew ARTP would be too.

I think trading to a point is good - people who otherwise wouldn't have heard about you may like what they hear and become fans. That could encourage them to buy your album (especially if it comes with some kind of freebie like our does) or come to your shows.

The downside, and especially when someone starts trading entire albums :mad: , is that this market in Australia is so damn small anyway, there's no way you can even entertain the idea of making a living from music and it costs a shitload to put out a good product. These people are basically taking the food out of our mouths. We're not a huge multi-million dollar band like Fagtallica, we're guys who are on under minumum wage plugging away at something we love and believe in. Would you steal from a beggar? If you would, it's pretty fucked...

As much as I'm willing to accept trading and even embrace it to a certain degree, if I do ever catch any prick selling copies of our burnt CD, I'll be seeing them in court. It's one thing stealing from us, but it's another thing entirely making a profit from it... That's absolutely fucked and the dickwads doing it should be wearing burning tyres around their necks... :mad:

So if you're talking to that guy with the list, let him know.. "Don't".

I download mp3's for 2 reasons, to sample bands before buying,i hate buying cd's on a whim. And for shit thats no longer availble.

Plus on my whopping 2 gig hardrive,you can't really fit many full albums. :)

yeah ill admit i download a few tracks here and there but never a full album. I mostly use mp3s or sample mp3s as a guide to what the band is like. Mp3 should soley be used as a promotion device but as you know, mp3 isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

It always feels good to have the real thing in your hands!

Grrrr...
You know what shits me even more? Chicks into metal and metal bands.
There are next to no girls in metal bands, I'll rephrase that... decent metal bands. Sure, metal is dominated by males but com'on! There are no metal chicks about anymore...! Atleast in Adelaide anyway, and if they are into metal, they are all snobbish bitches. WE ARE A DYING BREED OVER HERE! Gheez... [/rant] :lol:

Originally posted by Saphira
Grrrr...
You know what shits me even more? Chicks into metal and metal bands.
There are next to no girls in metal bands, I'll rephrase that... decent metal bands. Sure, metal is dominated by males but com'on! There are no metal chicks about anymore...! Atleast in Adelaide anyway, and if they are into metal, they are all snobbish bitches. WE ARE A DYING BREED OVER HERE! Gheez... [/rant] :lol:

Go to Metal Warriors Website and Check out Supremacy ...
maybe you heard of them ???

i knoe them personaly now for a little while , and they are pretty cool , Monica the guitarist is actually a PHD in Classical Guitar , and WOW , honestly ..... Jadi-ann the vocalist is prety much different to any other ones i heard ....

But i'll let you be the judg .... "but you better hear the new album that's out soon , don't worry about the older ones , i heard the demos and i was like WOW" ..

Hmmm, so ur planning to play live soon saph? I think ill have to make the trip and see hehehe U better lemme know in advance tho hahaha :D Its only adelaide, not that longa trip :D

I play guitar...
lhdevil.gif

Originally posted by _(^DRACULA^)_
Go to Metal Warriors Website and Check out Supremacy ...
maybe you heard of them ???

i knoe them personaly now for a little while , and they are pretty cool , Monica the guitarist is actually a PHD in Classical Guitar , and WOW , honestly ..... Jadi-ann the vocalist is prety much different to any other ones i heard ....

But i'll let you be the judg .... "but you better hear the new album that's out soon , don't worry about the older ones , i heard the demos and i was like WOW" ..

Yeah, I've heard of them... They aren't too bad...
But I wasn't ruling out all metal chicks, just most of them..
Seriously though, we need more girls into metal, don't you agree??

I think every male in metal agrees, never enough,There's like 1 girl to every 50 guys,and all those 50 guys want a girlfriend into metal.

On the plus side,most metal chicks are rather attractive.

Originally posted by Saphira

There are next to no girls in metal bands, I'll rephrase that... decent metal bands.

Arch Enemy :D

I know what you are saying though, I used to live in Adelaide about 6 months ago, and you saw the occasional metal chick. Your right, most of em are snobby as, I remember when me and my band went to town to try sell our demo cds to people on the street, and I'll say that hardly anyone metal bought one, definetly not the chicks anyway.

We were like 'Wanna hear some underground Adelaide Black Metal for a measly $5 for 6 tracks?'

Bitches :bah:

\m/

Originally posted by Dvoters
Arch Enemy :D

I know what you are saying though, I used to live in Adelaide about 6 months ago, and you saw the occasional metal chick. Your right, most of em are snobby as, I remember when me and my band went to town to try sell our demo cds to people on the street, and I'll say that hardly anyone metal bought one, definetly not the chicks anyway.

We were like 'Wanna hear some underground Adelaide Black Metal for a measly $5 for 6 tracks?'

Bitches :bah:

\m/

Arch Enemy! Hell yes... \m/

Really?!? :eek:
What was your band called?!

Come back to Adelaide, help us revive the pissy metal scene.. :)

:headbang:

Actually, when it comes to looking for partners I don't care about what musical tastes a woman has. I used to think Metal for boys, Pop for girls but I don't think it should matter that much.

I think MP3s are beneficial to bands in a way. I mean, my CD purchasing has gone down drastically since Audiogalaxy went under. It was my prime spot to discover new bands, sample MP3s, etc. I definitely bought a lot more cds back then. In these days you can´t just buy stuff without hearing it first... not like in the old days when I could buy a band´s new album and it still kicked ass like their previous stuff. Nowadays there´s too much "progression", "maturing", "growing out of Metal" etc.