Music Recommendations?

TesticleMilkshake

pewpewlazrz
Oct 24, 2010
New York
Posted this in the wrong place before:

So I'm new to metal and looking for some recommendations.

I really enjoy Devin Townsend, he's definitely a very prolific when crossing genres. Really enjoyed his recent album Ghost and Deconstruction. Big fan of Ki too.

I've been meaning to get into Disturbed lately as well (I'm a grad student in Jewish studies and considering writing a paper on Jewish figures in heavy metal)

Battle of Mice and Om I also enjoy, but I haven't heard a lot of them.

Interested in Sludge Metal, Drone Metal, Stoner Metal, Doom Metall; pretty much anything...

Advice? Recommendations?

Here's some quality doom that is fairly accessible:

Unorthodox - Balance of Power
The Obsessed - Lunar Womb
Warning - Watching from a Distance
Revelation - Release

Sunn O)))
My Dying Bride
Hypocrisy (The Fourth Dimension, especially if you like stuff a little doomier)
Anathema (older stuff)
Electric Wizard
Pagan Altar
Katatonia
Opeth

As for stuff harder and more extreme:
Darkthrone
Immortal
Death
Morbid Angel

That's some good stuff to start with.

maybe some "Black Oak Decline"..

[youtube]6e4eDaDyV-c&context=C408dfabADvjVQa1PpcFP3TaHLW-5XrezpJNUbQjOxQyhaFuG4A5E=[/youtube]

If you're interested in Jewish figures in metal, check out Orphaned Land. Aside from the heavily religious thematic elements in their music, their third album Mabool is pretty fucking kickass, and fairly accessible.

Posted this in the wrong place before:

So I'm new to metal and looking for some recommendations.

I really enjoy Devin Townsend, he's definitely a very prolific when crossing genres. Really enjoyed his recent album Ghost and Deconstruction. Big fan of Ki too.

I've been meaning to get into Disturbed lately as well (I'm a grad student in Jewish studies and considering writing a paper on Jewish figures in heavy metal)

Battle of Mice and Om I also enjoy, but I haven't heard a lot of them.

Interested in Sludge Metal, Drone Metal, Stoner Metal, Doom Metall; pretty much anything...

Advice? Recommendations?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM8FxnGfLRY9rFF-LyoSVdg

www.maliceinthunderland.deviantart.com

Gojira- The Heaviest Matter of the Universe, Oroborous, Flying Whales, Satan is a Lawyer
The Dillinger Escape Plan- Setting Fire To Sleeping Giants, Milk Lizard, Limerent Death (Limerent Death is the heaviest of the three by far.)
Make Me a Donut- Psychic Crystallization, Nominatus Padre (it's in English, don't worry...), Haunting Seed, Brightside

if u are looking for bands away from the USA/Europe field, then there are some mighty fine Australian bands out there who u might be interested in giving a listen to like Lord, Darker Half(my fave aussie band) , Temtris, Taberah, Daemon Pyre (if u want to listen to something a bit heavier), Pegazus, Asylum
I could go on & on but i wont. Hope u find something that u like.

These guys a pretty new, but I discovered them on youtube and fell in love! They have a similar writing style to memphis mayfire. They have more stuff up on their reverb page. www.reverbnation.com/aliveinthenight

Wow... you really like parading that band around, don't you?
Anyways... My favorite doom metal band is not very accessible by any standard. In fact, it has been deemed several times over as the HEAVIEST metal band ever. If you don't already know what I'm talking about, it's Thergothon.

If you think you know slow, and you haven't heard Thergothon... Let's just say you're sadly mistaken.
Here is a sample:

Last edited: