Getting old or just tired of bands?

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
Guys,

I am a member since 2002. I used to listen to metal for hours each day. As you can tell from my user name, I am now 36 years old... Lately I've found that I have no desire anymore to listen to a lot of the bands that I once loved, like for example Primordial, Enslaved or Neurosis.

Am I just getting old?

Another problem is that many of my favourite bands turned to shit in the recent years:

Opeth (crap since Watershed)
Devin Townsend (crap since Ki)
Anathema (crap since a long time...lol)
Primordial (crap since To The Nameless Dead)

And sure...your preferences change as you get older. Today I can no longer sit through a complete Meshuggah album like I used to. I am a bit tired of growling, but I still LOVE heavy music. But I don't feel like listening to extreme metal anymore, although I still enjoy particular songs.

These are some bands, old and new, that I listen to regularly:

Russian Circles
Isis
Callisto
mid-period Anathema
Tool
Atoma
Enshine
some progressive rock: KC, Camel

Well, thats not much :lol: The rest is classical, nowadays...

To put it short, I am interested in slower, atmospheric metal. I love solos and long songs. I also like instrumental metal and post rock/metal.

If I had to pick one favourite album right now, it would be Callisto's Noir. Although it has a shortage of solos...

So any recommendations are welcome.

I'm off listening to Bach :lol:

I myself listen to more and more classical but whenever I return to a really good band I once again find myself so relaxed by the evil fucking cult of satan.

Check out Godspeed you Black Emperor if you haven't already. I'm sure you probably have already checked them out ofc.

I'm kind of in the opposite boat as you funnily enough --- I was deeply into post rock/metal in my formative years, but am kind of tired of it now BUT am still completely obsessed with... Primordial :D (though I agree their latest is weak -- I liked the one immediately following TTND though).

You might dig some of the stoner metal/rock stuff. Some find it "boring" but it has some qualities that you would probably enjoy and is similar to post-metal in some aspects (slow + heavy). Less complex though. I'm by no means an expert but check out Bongzilla and Weedeater. On the rock side you might like Kyuss.

The older we get, sometimes the more we calm down, so that might have something to do with it beyond having heard these classic songs thousands of times in your life.

There is so much new stuff out there, so hopefully your favorite bands are still creating new material.